Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

3 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP Questions

Thanks

BP Questions

I got a normal BP about 2 weeks ago, been feeding mouse every 7 days, he has ate good both times, just feed him today he was on it within 5 seconds of putting the mouse in the box with him and had it down in like 8 min, he has been spending a lot of time on the cooler side lately.. even after he just ate he went to the cooler side right away, I currently have 2 different hides in the cage right now, the one on the warm side with the UTH is more open on the bottom so he can use the UTH better, the one on the cooler side is a bit smaller log structure that is a bit smaller then the one on the warm side. Temps are currently 88F on the hot side with 69% humidity(high right now due to substrate change) and 81F and 66% humidity on cooler side. I don't have a temp controller for the UTH so I keep the substrate about 3/4 to 1 inch think there.

Just wondering if he is avoiding the hot side because the hide might be too big?

Thanks
    Well maybe I just have a case of new snake owner syndrome.. he just changed over to the warm side now, but should I look at getting similar hides for each side?

Thanks
    From what you descibed and without seeing your set up, I think that everything sound good. If he's eating I wouldn't change anything.
    You may have new owner syndrome but that's not really a bad thing unless you get so preoccupied with changing your setup that you stress out your snake.

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 Bumblebee, het. VPI Ax
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

Thanks

Re: BP Questions

http://imgur.com/fDJwLyk couldn't get to show up in thread this is current setup, he just switched sides again.. just different from how he acted last time I feed him, I have to still get something for the sides of the cage, keep forgetting when I go into town

Thanks

Re: BP Questions

been a while since ive used forums but got it figured out haha
    Last edited by michaelt; 10-29-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    You said you don't have anything controlling the UTH, so it's just plugged into the wall? If this is the case then the pad is getting far too hot. You want to use a thermostat to regulate the heat.

The bottom surface of the tank just above the UTH is where you need to check the temperature (not the substrate, the actual tank surface) and this is where you are looking for the 90 to 92 degrees. You'll need an infrared thermometer for this.

Also if you have a UTH (which I'm assuming is under that hide on the left) then you don't actually need hot/cold sides, just a hotspot (UTH under hide) and an ambient temp (everywhere else) of 80. It doesn't hurt, would just save on electricity to have a lamp and UTH going rather than two lamps and a UTH. But don't remove the UTH from the equation they're what you want to use.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Velrys For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (10-30-2014)

Thanks
    I'm not using 2 lamps anymore I just replaced that small 50w with that larger 150w adjustable I just didn't move it off the cage untill after I took the picture. I'll have to see what the temp is in that hide and get something to control the UTH on the left side hide. if im measuring the temp on the glass to 90-92 wouldn't it be coole with the 3/4-1 inch of substraight on the top of it?

Thanks
    Should I just unplug the uth untill I get my thermostat? Just ordered one a min ago and maintain my hot and cold side? I don't really want to be digging in the cage to get temps because I just fed him lastnight

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    How are you measuring the temp of the glass over the UTH? Those analog thermometers won't do it, you need a temp gun, digital thermometer with a probe that is sitting on the glass, or an IR thermometer.

Thanks
    I haven't measured the tank over the uth yet I unplugged it untill I get my thermoter .. He ripped apart the substraight lastnight while I was at work looks like he was doing laps.. My other temps I have 2 digital Exo terra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast