Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,249

4 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Mean BP club

Thanks

Cool Mean BP club

Anyone else got one (or more) of these guys? I mean, a mean BP?

I actually have two super mean balls.

One is a baby who is very nervous, she strikes constantly -- like more than I have ever seen. She is a tiny baby who had a hard time adjusting after she was shipped a few months ago. She came out of the box striking, though. It was almost comical. I figure she might grow out of it, though. When she calms down she's not so bad. She's gotten a bit better with time.

But I have one male champagne, Pazuzu, who is so unfriendly. He's old enough that I think he might not grow out of it. I also think he's gotten worse as he has aged. When I, or anyone else for that matter, holds him he goes completely stiff, as every muscle in his body tenses up and you can just tell he is plotting everyone in the vicinity's demise. He starts huffing and puffing and hissing EXTREMELY audibly, and strikes, but only at the most inopportune times ever. When I open his bin he jerks into a strike pose and just glares. He even attacks his food a few times sometimes before actually eating it. I try to leave him be, since he obviously hates everyone ever. It's just almost silly how much he carries on when he gets in an especially particular mood. He's extremely rude, always.

Just wondering how many of your guys out there have a nasty/mean/rude snake as well.

I kind of like his demeanor. It keeps things interesting in a sea of docile snakes.

Share your mean BP experiences, if you have any. Almost all I meet are nice enough.

Thanks
    I think by naming him Pazuzu, you delt his fate.

But seriously, I've had my experiences with snappy little BP's and it's something you have to work with. Some never come around, most grow out of it.

Be sure to keep them on a consistent feeding schedule and handle them on a regular basis. A hook works well to let them know that you are coming and obviously prevents bites.

However, your older one seems like that it's his nature and unfortunately never grow out of it.
    Last edited by Wizard; 10-29-2014 at 12:05 AM.

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 Bumblebee, het. VPI Ax
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard For This Useful Post:

andyroof1979 (11-06-2014)

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    My mojave male is a demon incarnate. His name is Ares, and to have named him after the God of War was fitting. I can't so much as crack his tub, or he comes flying out , at least half his 3 1/2 ft, and starts striking like a maniac. If I hook him to move him, he'll strike at me from the hook, and heaven forbid I actually touch him! He has been like that since he was very small. I remember picking him up as a tiny thing and having him strike at me from my hand. Lol. I just expect him to try to eat my face and we get along fine.

Most of my others have a very strong feeding response, and take a couple minutes to calm down. But I'd rather have that than a bunch of snakes that don't eat consistently.

- Nakita

Thanks

Re: Mean BP club

Have you tried moving him to a different enclosure?
    Last edited by Wizard; 10-29-2014 at 12:09 AM.

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 Bumblebee, het. VPI Ax
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    He's been in a couple of different types of enclosures and reacts the same way no matter what. I've accepted that it's just how he is. Doesn't really bother me much. Lol. I just have to handle him more carefully than most of the others.

- Nakita

Thanks
    I have a Fire that came out out of the box striking. He even striked when my son ran by 12 ft away. I held him for about 30 minutes twice a day for the 1st few weeks. Now he still huffs sometimes and a little skittish but he hasn't shown any aggression since. I've had him a couple months now. He only passed on his first meal. The ones I find that have more aggression I spend more time with even though I know a lot of people here would say they're best left alone. I haven't had any issues with non feeding or any other problems.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks

Mean BP club

I have a hypo female that wants to destroy my body and soul! She's only about 300-400g and does calm down once you pick her up.

I have a Mojave pair that were exactly the same but just grew out of it.

I find myself that the secret is to dominate the snakes head. That breaks them out of fight mode and they enter flight mode. Then it's easy to calm them down. Getting bit is always a good laugh though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gouzman; 10-30-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've dealt with "aggressive" snakes in the past but over the years only one stands out to me as just mean. My silver bullet male that I hatched this year is one of the only snakes that I've had bite me while still in the egg. His mom and dad are awesome snakes to mess with but he is a real problem child.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (10-30-2014)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    One of my normal males, Alston is just a plain out prick.
    He has always been that way. I have to litterally jump on him as soon as I open the tub if I need to handle him.
    When he is balled up he is fine but if I give him a second to "wake up" he will start striking at every movement.
    The funny thing is the strikes will always be at your face. Even when you try to distract him to strike at your hand way over in another direction. The only plus is I know where he will strike and I know where he will get me one day.