Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

4 members and 2,952 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Snake in QT?

Thanks

Snake in QT?

I have a rescued BP that I received a little over a month ago and she is in QT in a rack system. I noticed Tuesday night that she was wheezing(whistling) off and on and checked her mouth and she had a few bubbles in the back of her throat. I bumped her temp. up a couple of degrees. I took her to the vet today as she was still whistling and they checked her mouth which looked good color wise, no bubbles and no mucus. Do I have to worry about the hatchling snakes above her catching RI or what ever she has, they are in QT as well? She has a great appetite and is active. They are on paper towel substrate, water changed every two days or as needed (they tip them over) and tub dried and towels replaced. I am trying my best to keep them healthy and happy and safe.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    She needs to be isolated - I'm surprised that your vet didn't tell you to do that.

Thanks

Re: Snake in QT?

I will do that now... I told him that I have other snakes and two snakes above her in the rack. How long should I keep her isolated? He told me it was possible that the others may get it but not real likely.

Thanks
    Gee, this is the second post Ive seen where a snake has been wheezing. Maybe something is going around?
    Im just throwing around my opinions. Im trying to give as much help as I've received on this website

1.0 Ball Python
    2.0 Red Clawed Scorpion

(1.0 means Male right?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I will do that now... I told him that I have other snakes and two snakes above her in the rack. How long should I keep her isolated? He told me it was possible that the others may get it but not real likely.
    I don't put mine back into the rack until they've been symptom-free for 90 days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

JPerkins (10-23-2014)

Thanks

I may be wrong but I think I saw or heard once that RI's are not contagious because RI's are caused by the environment (wrong temps/ too much humidity). So I don't think you have to worry about your other snakes getting it, and I don't think you have to isolate them. But it couldn't hurt and I also may be wrong because I'm not an expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpythoncrazy View Post
    I may be wrong but I think I saw or heard once that RI's are not contagious because RI's are caused by the environment (wrong temps/ too much humidity). So I don't think you have to worry about your other snakes getting it, and I don't think you have to isolate them. But it couldn't hurt and I also may be wrong because I'm not an expert

They can be HIGHLY contagious.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...Brutal-Disease

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    ._. Oh sheesh. Where did I hear they weren't contagious? My bad. Good to know that it is though!

Thanks

Did you guys read this thread? It wasn't RI that killed this guys collection it was IBD. RI was likely secondary. IBD is supposedly extremely contagious.

It seems that for the most part, RIs spring up as the result of opportunistic flora taking over when a snakes immune system is compromised or pulmonary system is otherwise weakened.

According to Scott Stahl, the majority of bacterial RIs are caused by latent bacteria that are hanging out in the mouth of most of our snakes most of the time. From what I gather the "contagious" nature of the bacterial RIs that pop up is more associated with evenly distributed less than ideal husbandry practices within a collection. Apparently the fall/winter is a pretty common time to see RIs pop up because people dont realize that their ambient temps have dropped in the time after warm weather ends and before the central heat turns on (in cases where dedicated snake rooms dont control ambient temp).

I have limited experience with this and most of what I am telling you I found from researching the topic myself/ talking with others who have experienced more than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballpythoncrazy View Post
    ._. Oh sheesh. Where did I hear they weren't contagious? My bad. Good to know that it is though!

1.0 '12 lesser granite yellowbelly
    0.1 '12 lesser
    1.0 banana pastel
    0.1 black pastel pewter
    1.0 '14 pastel pied
    0.1 '13 high white pied
    1.0 pain in the ass bengal Cat
    0.0.X saltwater fish/coral
    0.0.X orchids and carnivorous plants