Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 818

1 members and 817 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Question filter question!

so me and my boyfriend want to set up my 10 gallon tank in a few weeks and i was wondering which filter we should get. preferably one that is available at a petco store since he dont like buying things online lol i had a hang on the back one when i had my cichlids but it always seemed to clog easily and was a pain to clean. i been looking online but only found mixed reviews of most of them. what kind would you guys recommend? eventually ill want to set my 75 gallon up too so any recommendations for that one would be appreciated as well. Thanks

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    forgot to mention they both will be used for freshwater fish xD

Thanks
    What kind of fish / fishload are you planning on having? When I ran tanks, I'd always use at least 10x the number of tank gallons per hour for filtration (gph). If you are running a heavy fish load, you can do 20x (so 200gph for a 10gl tank) but fish from slow moving water systems (like bettas) don't like the gph that high. I also always suggest using two smaller filters vs. one larger filter... better for water movement and a safeguard in case one fails. Note that the gph you see on filter boxes is under ideal / empty conditions. I always lean on the side of caution and get a higher powered filter than I need.

I have had pretty good luck with aquaclears and penguins. The "bio wheels" are pretty much useless as they stop running quickly.

Whatever filter you get (and I do suggest a hang on the tank / power filter), I would remove any carbon from the filter cartridges and don't use any of the chemically treated cartridges. For cartridges / filler, if you can find some that fits, cut some aquaclear "foam" cartridge squares to fit you filter cavity... They provide a load of space for good bacteria to colonize. I would always include these, even if just in front of the correct filter cartridge.

With any power filter, you will have it stop up occasionally... I would advise squeezing out the cartridges in dirty tank water each time you change the water in the tank (this will remove derbies) and you can also disassemble the filter (remove the magnet turbine thingy) and rinse it in water (no soap) to clean it off.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: filter question!

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    What kind of fish / fishload are you planning on having? When I ran tanks, I'd always use at least 10x the number of tank gallons per hour for filtration (gph). If you are running a heavy fish load, you can do 20x (so 200gph for a 10gl tank) but fish from slow moving water systems (like bettas) don't like the gph that high. I also always suggest using two smaller filters vs. one larger filter... better for water movement and a safeguard in case one fails. Note that the gph you see on filter boxes is under ideal / empty conditions. I always lean on the side of caution and get a higher powered filter than I need.

I have had pretty good luck with aquaclears and penguins. The "bio wheels" are pretty much useless as they stop running quickly.

Whatever filter you get (and I do suggest a hang on the tank / power filter), I would remove any carbon from the filter cartridges and don't use any of the chemically treated cartridges. For cartridges / filler, if you can find some that fits, cut some aquaclear "foam" cartridge squares to fit you filter cavity... They provide a load of space for good bacteria to colonize. I would always include these, even if just in front of the correct filter cartridge.

With any power filter, you will have it stop up occasionally... I would advise squeezing out the cartridges in dirty tank water each time you change the water in the tank (this will remove derbies) and you can also disassemble the filter (remove the magnet turbine thingy) and rinse it in water (no soap) to clean it off.
    we are wanting to do a shark tank with a pleco or some other sucker fish (still deciding), we are using the 10 gallon to start with and will be introducing them to the bigger 75 gallon when they start to outgrow the 10, ill still have the smaller one because ill eventually want to get an oscar and use it till it gets big enough to be in the 75 without being bullied. i was also thinking about using 2 filters too. do u have any links for a video on how to set up a filter with the "foam?" i havent used any with the carbon inserts before and didnt have any issues. my biggest issue was cleaning the filter, it was a pain to do it cuz it got clogged really fast but im hoping using 2 filters will make it easier to maintain.

Thanks
    i usually wouldn't recommend sharks... Most are spazzes and way too skittish (and some, like balas, get absolutely huge). If you start them in the 10gl, do them each 1 at a time and do a real quarantine setup (minimal furnishings, etc.) I would provide the pleco with drfitwood and rocks to hide under. Be ready to move them into the 75 asap. The shark will need more swimming room than the 10gl provides (even as a tiny fish) and I wouldn't keep him in the tank more than 1 month at most. Probably similar with an oscar (it will outgrow it very fast). All of these, including plecos, will produce a lot of waste, so I would go with 20x gph for the filters.

For the size tank you are talking about (75gl) 1 each of an oscar, shark, and common pleco will be just about the max fishload... You will need good rockwork and wood for the pleco to hide in and to break up sight lines (but still keep open swimming space for the shark.) I don't want to be a downer, but I can see an adult oscar harassing a shark non-stop. Sharks are predators too, but not territorial per-say and an adult oscar will consider the entire 75 gallon his "turf".

Have you considered any of the slightly smaller less agressive cichlids? firemouths are great and you could easily have a pair or a single one with a whole school of something like giant danios, rosey barbs, or turquoise rainbows. Good alternatives to common plecos are bristlenoses...maxing out at 7", but still very hardy and tough little algae eaters. Severums are also good cichlids to check out. Voracious plant eaters, and great looking adults (maxing out at about 10"). they are less agressive than firemouths even, but still have loads of personality and would make a great "show fish".

here's a cichlid forum that I've heard good things about. I'd post there and ask for feedback on your tank specs and inhabitants. I've never kept oscars, but I know people have issues finding compatible tank mates and the people here might be able to help.

I don't know of any videos for the foam, but it's pretty straight forward, it comes in rectangular blocks, just get a block that is large enough for your filter cavity and trim with a serrated kitchen knife if needed. I cut mine so that they fit snugly, forcing the water to go through the sponge.

Some filter cartridges (I believe marineland and others) have a plastic cartridge with blue mesh batting on one side. Usually these have carbon inside them (you can hear it if you shake). I cut a slit straight down the middle of the blue batting and dump the charcoal out.

Good luck!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (10-31-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    i usually wouldn't recommend sharks... Most are spazzes and way too skittish (and some, like balas, get absolutely huge). If you start them in the 10gl, do them each 1 at a time and do a real quarantine setup (minimal furnishings, etc.) I would provide the pleco with drfitwood and rocks to hide under. Be ready to move them into the 75 asap. The shark will need more swimming room than the 10gl provides (even as a tiny fish) and I wouldn't keep him in the tank more than 1 month at most. Probably similar with an oscar (it will outgrow it very fast). All of these, including plecos, will produce a lot of waste, so I would go with 20x gph for the filters.

For the size tank you are talking about (75gl) 1 each of an oscar, shark, and common pleco will be just about the max fishload... You will need good rockwork and wood for the pleco to hide in and to break up sight lines (but still keep open swimming space for the shark.) I don't want to be a downer, but I can see an adult oscar harassing a shark non-stop. Sharks are predators too, but not territorial per-say and an adult oscar will consider the entire 75 gallon his "turf".

Have you considered any of the slightly smaller less agressive cichlids? firemouths are great and you could easily have a pair or a single one with a whole school of something like giant danios, rosey barbs, or turquoise rainbows. Good alternatives to common plecos are bristlenoses...maxing out at 7", but still very hardy and tough little algae eaters. Severums are also good cichlids to check out. Voracious plant eaters, and great looking adults (maxing out at about 10"). they are less agressive than firemouths even, but still have loads of personality and would make a great "show fish".

here's a cichlid forum that I've heard good things about. I'd post there and ask for feedback on your tank specs and inhabitants. I've never kept oscars, but I know people have issues finding compatible tank mates and the people here might be able to help.

I don't know of any videos for the foam, but it's pretty straight forward, it comes in rectangular blocks, just get a block that is large enough for your filter cavity and trim with a serrated kitchen knife if needed. I cut mine so that they fit snugly, forcing the water to go through the sponge.

Some filter cartridges (I believe marineland and others) have a plastic cartridge with blue mesh batting on one side. Usually these have carbon inside them (you can hear it if you shake). I cut a slit straight down the middle of the blue batting and dump the charcoal out.

Good luck!
    i do have an account on that forum, my bf dont want a cichlid tank, ive already tried convincing him to just do cichlids but he dont want them, hes pretty dead set on the sharks :/ i used to have 2 african cichlids in my 10 gallon but they died due to a power outage in the winter last year i do know balas get huge and i have talked to someone who they should be fine with a single oscar as long as its not too small compared to the sharks, he has 2 balas and an oscar in a 75 along with a clown loach and had no problems for years. i went up to petco the other day and found a filter with the foam inserts, it was an aquaclear for a 20 gal.so ill probably get that filter, it looked easy to clean too. im going to keep trying to convince the bf to do a cichlid tank though, they are my favorite freshwater fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts
    For a 10gallon tank, I always use a power 20 filter. Power filters usually have cartridges which get replaced when dirty. For a 75gallon or bigger tank, I'd suggest going with a canister filter, especially if you have dirty fish like oscars. :-)

I've seen people do oscars with tinfoil barbs and bala sharks. The oscars where either A) given enough turf to not bother the other fish, B) the same size or smaller than the other fish, or C) there were enough bala sharks to keep the oscar in check. I believe balas are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 2 or 3+ anyway.

I've seen people put fish together that "shouldn't" be together in the same aquarium and everything work fine. I'm sure there were several factors which accompanied the lack of aggression toward tankmates like age, tank size, hiding places, etc.

x2 on this vv

artgecko said: "Some filter cartridges (I believe marineland and others) have a plastic cartridge with blue mesh batting on one side. Usually these have carbon inside them (you can hear it if you shake)."

Aqueon and Whisper are other brands to look for. I think Aqueon was once All Glass Aquariums(AGA)

Not sure if Aquaclear has changed or not over the years but they apparently have the best GPH on the market but if I remember right, there units use 3 cartridges or something.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks
    If you actually use an aquaclear filter, the filter media sized for that unit (i.e. if you get a AC200 and buy the AC200 media) it is sized to use multiple types in the filter basket (I think you could stack 2 AC200 foam "cubes" on top of each other, etc.). I usually just buy the next size up foam and use that.

Here's an interesting short article about the "sharks" used in freshwater. It makes some good points about the different kinds, but doesn't go into much detail.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (10-31-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate81 View Post
    For a 10gallon tank, I always use a power 20 filter. Power filters usually have cartridges which get replaced when dirty. For a 75gallon or bigger tank, I'd suggest going with a canister filter, especially if you have dirty fish like oscars. :-)

I've seen people do oscars with tinfoil barbs and bala sharks. The oscars where either A) given enough turf to not bother the other fish, B) the same size or smaller than the other fish, or C) there were enough bala sharks to keep the oscar in check. I believe balas are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 2 or 3+ anyway.

I've seen people put fish together that "shouldn't" be together in the same aquarium and everything work fine. I'm sure there were several factors which accompanied the lack of aggression toward tankmates like age, tank size, hiding places, etc.

x2 on this vv

artgecko said: "Some filter cartridges (I believe marineland and others) have a plastic cartridge with blue mesh batting on one side. Usually these have carbon inside them (you can hear it if you shake)."

Aqueon and Whisper are other brands to look for. I think Aqueon was once All Glass Aquariums(AGA)

Not sure if Aquaclear has changed or not over the years but they apparently have the best GPH on the market but if I remember right, there units use 3 cartridges or something.
    i was also looking at the aqueon filters too, that was my first choice but the aquaclears look easier to clean out and has the foam inserts like these http://www.petco.com/product/107996/...r-Inserts.aspx and yeah there are 3 cartridges, the foam, carbon and ammonia remover ones. they are listed here http://www.petco.com/N_13425_143_101...0132&cmrefpf=1

so if i get the aquaclear should i just not buy the carbon one and just get the other 2 cartridges then?

Thanks
    Just get foam... not the ammonia remover or the carbon. I only used the carbon one if I had to remove meds from the tank and the chemical removers are dangerous... they only absorb so much then release into the tank... they also inhibit the natural tank cycle that happens (ammonia eating bacteria, etc.) I'd just get a box of the foam insterts (I think it comes with 3) and use those.

The trickiest part about cleaning an aquaclear is taking off the cap to the impeller when you have to rinse it. If you can master that, you've got it made.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast