Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,030

1 members and 2,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Feeding Round 2 - More Questions!

So this is an update on my new Spider Ball, and I have some more questions regarding feeding. She is 1000 grams approx. I got her on October 11th, all conditions have be good over the past few weeks. Tried feeding her last Thursday (a large rat F/T)) and she turned it down but was interested. Over the weekend she had pooped, and appeared very hungry after that point. So I decided to try again last night with a small rat this time (F/T), as this was the size the breeder was feeding her. She took it within about 10 seconds, coiled around it for a minute or so, and proceeded to start swallowing, and got up to the neck of the rat. She then pulled back, as I noticed that some cypress bark was stuck to it, and spit some bark out, as the rat was wet from being thawed. She tried to position her self a few times to swallow it again and gave up, and went back to her hide, but came out shortly after and was smelling around where the rat was. So a few questions, as I'm a little disappointed with myself.

1. How soon should I try again, as I know she is hungry now, and will take it.
    2. What is the best way to ensure a dry rat?
    3. Should I put something down over the substrate, as she is new and I don't want to move her to another feeding container her and stress her?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    1) Any time, I would try in the evening when she's active. You can thaw the feeder in the room where she's kept to pre-scent it.
    2) Thaw as usual, then blow-dry it. Or just thaw it with the blow dryer but that takes a while.
    3) Before you thaw the feeder you can put a wide plastic or paper plate down in her enclosure, or even a piece of newspaper, over top of the substrate.

FWIW I feed on cypress and mine have never had a problem with it. Also, once she has it wrapped up, don't check on her for an hour, some of mine won't eat if they are being watched.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-22-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks

Re: Feeding Round 2 - More Questions!

Great, I was only wondering if tonight or tomorrow would be too soon to try again. I did sit and watch, so it may have been a combination of that and the bark getting stuck.

Do you find that putting paper or something to cover the cypress throws them off, or in other words, it's something new that may make them a little more shy?

Thanks,

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Feeding Round 2 - More Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead1980 View Post
    Do you find that putting paper or something to cover the cypress throws them off, or in other words, it's something new that may make them a little more shy?
    I haven't noted any difference. Just put her "dinner plate" in before you start thawing the feeder, as otherwise if she smells the feeder and then you stick your nice warm hand in the enclosure, you may get bit.