Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

2 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Switching from live to frozen - HELP PLZ

We have had Boston for just over a month now. He has always been a great eater, instantly constricting his food and swallowing it down within minutes. Today however was a different story. We bought our first frozen mouse, thawed it in the fridge, and heated in hot tap water to the right temp. I tested the head and belly to ensure nothing was still frozen. Boston would come over, check out the mouse handing from the feeding prongs, but never tried once to strike. He would get into position, but wouldn't follow through. After several minutes I took the mouse out and thought maybe it was because it was a bit damp in some areas so I dried it off with a blow drier and tried again. Nothing! He came over to check it out but that's about it. I really wanted to switch him over to frozen but I don't want to starve him in the process What can I do to help him adapt to frozen? Should I get him a love to eat in the meantime? Or is that just going to strengthin his preference to live? Thoughts....

Thanks
    I would suggest you heat it more than you think you need to. Not cook it, don't boil it, but it should feel warmer than you and quite noticably so. Even flash boil it by dunking it (or the head) in and out. This has been the major issue I have converting. Some snakes will eat thawed/warm snakes. Others need the dance and they also need some steady heat for them to register. Especially at first because dancing it around gives it more time to cool off.

But honestly, expect it to take some time. These snakes go 6 months at a time without eating and are fine. Stop stressing it, keep offering down to once a week and let it go
    ---
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    1.1 Black and White Banded Cal-King

2.3 Dogs
    0.4 Cats
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Kids

Thanks
    ball pythons have a tendency to be picky eaters. The majority of mine eat frozen thawed. I generally wiggle the rodent to make it seem like it is alive and that is what gets the food response for me. I do have an adult female that will only eat frozen. I've tried on 3 separate occasions and no luck. If your snake is young i suggest waiting 5 days and try again and if still nothing after a few more days offer a live meal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ajmreptiles For This Useful Post:

Tiffanie (10-21-2014)