Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

1 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Royal Python worries

Hello people.

I've had my royal for about 3-4 weeks now. I just want to pick your brains about his temperament change...

When I first got him, I let him settle for about a week, and then fed him. He struck, constricted and ate (I only saw him strike and constrict because I then turned lights out and left him to it on his own for a few hours as I didnt wanna stress him by peering in while he was trying to eat.) I then waited 48 hours and handled him. He was lovely. slithering around my hands, up my shoulder etc... I only had him out about 5 minutes because he'd been on his cold side of his vivarium and felt a bit cool so I didnt want him to get too cold (im very paranoid about my reptiles getting too cold while they're out of their viv)

anyway, ive fed him twice more since then (every Wednesday) and as soon as ive been heating the rat up with my hairdryer hes *woosh* out of his hide and up at the glass in his strike pose just waiting. Safe to say he struck and ate perfectly everytime.

now, to the part I'm concerned about, the other day while he was going through a shed, I misted his viv with water to up the humidity and I accidentally got him, and he didn't like it at all. I said sorry even though he couldnt understand obviously and carried on around him, and im not sure if he hissed at me or not or it was the sound the water was making when it hit his hot spot. But I left him alone for a day or two after that just in case i'd made him angry.

I got him out after a couple of days and he seemed to be okay again, my older brother handled him for a bit too and fell in love and said he looked healthy and stuff (he's a bit of a snake man himself). Then not last night but the night before I wanted to get him out and he seemed angry? Like very tense and like he wanted to bite me. So I didn't bother him. (And I'm sure I heard him hiss again? I'm unsure whether he's hissing or not, I wish I knew what their hissing sounded like so I knew. Is it loud or quiet?) and today I went to get him out and he seemed jumpy and like he wanted to bite me?

I've tried giving him a few days between handling so I don't stress him out but he still seems like he wants to bite me...

I feed him on 1 Large Weaning Rat every Wednesday. He's a year old, just over 2 feet in length and 700grams in weight. Do you think maybe he's hungry by now and I should feed him every 5-7 days instead of every week? I thought maybe he could be striking out of hunger?

Unless he's holding a grudge against me for spraying him, which I really didn't mean to do! I said sorry for goodness sake, snake!

his hot side spot is 90f, and his cool side is 80f. His humidity is 49% which I up when he's shedding. He is in a vivarium which is far too small for him, I know (it's a 2foot one) but I dont have funds to get him a bigger one yet but as soon as payday comes on the 28th, I will be ordering one for him.

So, any advice would be appreciated? any more information needed, just ask!

I just find it weird how he was fine with me at first and then suddenly doesn't want to know

just to clarify - because someone jumped down my throat on another forum I'm on - I didn't attempt to handle my ball at ALL during him shedding, I only put my hand in to mist to raise the humidity and also to remove his shed once he was done. And I never handle him for 2 (sometimes 3) days after he's eaten, too

(this was copied & pasted from another forum I'm on, but someone got a bit arsey with me so I decided to try posting here hoping for a nicer answer in stead)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    If he's 700 grams he can take a small rat weekly instead of a weanly. So yes, he might be a bit hungry.

Most of my BP's hate being misted and will hiss and flee to the backs of their tubs if they feel the water hitting them.

Thanks

Re: Royal Python worries

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If he's 700 grams he can take a small rat weekly instead of a weanly. So yes, he might be a bit hungry.

Most of my BP's hate being misted and will hiss and flee to the backs of their tubs if they feel the water hitting them.
    Okay, thank you. I'll start buying small rats then.

And yeah, he didn't enjoy it but it was an accident. Atleast I know to make sure it doesn't happen again! hehe

Again, thank you so much for not jumping down my throat and being rude. Maybe I'll stick to this forum instead of my previous one!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Can we get some pictures or details on his vivarium? 2 Feet sounds perfectly fine for a snake his size - in fact, it may be a little too big and causing him to feel insecure. I agree about larger prey.

They don't hold grudges so I would look at other factors. This forum is great and I've been on several others... this is the only one I'll actively participate in because every hobby has elitists and those elitists like to gravitate toward forums to feel powerful and important. This one managed to attract the people who just like to be helpful and discuss the hobby!
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (10-21-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Can we get some pictures or details on his vivarium? 2 Feet sounds perfectly fine for a snake his size - in fact, it may be a little too big and causing him to feel insecure.
    Sure, is this picture okay?

oh my God, ignore my mess on top of the viv! Maybe thats his problem? He doesnt like junk on his home? haha.
    Also, I don't use that thermometer thingy thats inside the vivarium, that was just with him when he came. I just a temperature gun at the moment until I can get some digital ones (:

He has a hide on both his hot and cold side, and a log above his cold side incase he wants to climb, a water bowl annnd another climby thing which im not sure the name of, which is just like a little ramp just because i thought it was cool. I think its only about a foot high and im not sure how deep it is. i cant find my tape measure at the moment otherwise id check

and this is his stance when i even come near his vivarium;

Last edited by SammieSalad; 10-20-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks

Royal Python worries

Nice looking viviarium can't wait til my girl grows a bit so I can get her something like this instead of a tank she's in now
    Last edited by lurch9; 10-20-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lurch9 View Post
    Nice looking viviarium can't wait til my girl grows a bit so I can get her something like this instead of a tank she's in now
    Thanks, it's what he came in (: I need to put his heatmatt wire around the back so it's no longer leaving a gap in the door though, and I never use the light so I don't know why I still have that in there! Haha

Thanks
    My pythons became more tame when I moved them out of the tanks and into a rack system.
    With tubs, temperature and humidity are much easier to control and maintain. Plus BP's feel more 'comfortable' in the dark enclosure of a tub and feel less threatened than in a large open vivarium.

1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Caramel
    1.0 Jigsaw
    0.1 Bumblebee, het. VPI Ax
    0.1 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    My pythons became more tame when I moved them out of the tanks and into a rack system.
    With tubs, temperature and humidity are much easier to control and maintain. Plus BP's feel more 'comfortable' in the dark enclosure of a tub and feel less threatened than in a large open vivarium.
    I considered this. But would have no idea on where to start with a rack system... Maybe I'll research this. Thank you

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would have to say the opposite with regard to temperament of snakes in a rack system. While I admit a rack is the absolute best option if you want your snakes to positively thrive, all of my animals became more aggressive when placed in the rack system. They are not exposed to any outside stimulation, which is great with regard to their health, but boy when I open those tubs they come flying out looking for dinner! Even the most timid animal I have ever owned changed into a food driven monster in the rack. While that doesn't bother me at all, as I'd rather have an animal that will eat than have an animal that is passive and won't eat, that is something to consider if you are considering switching.

Granted, the rack makes maintaining ideal temp and humidity a breeze, and almost ensures perfect sheds every time, however, a well decorated vivarium with carefully maintained temps and humidity works just fine and lets you see your pet occasionally when they are not hiding under one of their hide boxes. That is not to say that putting your animals in a rack will make them aggressive, but regular handling is important to help avoid general aggression.

That said, your snake does not look as though he wants to bite you in that picture. More nervous and inquisitive than anything. Even if he hisses at you when you go to pick him up, that does not mean he is going to bite. It is merely his way of saying, "Hey! I'm not too sure about this handling thing right now. What are you and why are you touching me?" That will calm down with regular handling. He is still getting to know you, that's all.

Congrats on your new addition and welcome to the addiction!

- Nakita

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast