Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,959

0 members and 2,959 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question New Advice On My Guinea Pig

Hey guys, so in addition to my 4 snakes, I also have a guinea pig, Charlie. He's doing fine but recently has been squeaking a lot, like almost all the time. He keeps me up at night, and as soon as i move out of bed he squeals at the top of his lungs again and again. His water and food is always full and he gets timothy hay every day. What i am worried about is that he is lonely. Being a full time college student with a job and 4 snakes, unfortunately I can't give him as much attention as he deserves. I know guineas are very social and are supposed to have buddies and I am faced with a difficult question, of whether I should take him back to a pet store. I would be very sad doing this but if someone could give him more attention or live with another guinea he might be happier.

Any advice is appreciated
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

Thanks
    If you don't have the time to take care of one guinea pig by giving it attention getting two will make it even worse. You would need to double the amount of times refilling water,double refilling food etc. Guinea pigs love affection. I had the same problem with my chinchilla. We had to pay more attention to it and then it was doing great again. Sadly, I can't really think of anything that can help you without giving him away. I haven't had a guinea pig in a few years so perhaps someone with more experience can help you.
    Reptiles
    5.0 Normal Ball Python (Ares, Poseidon, Hermes, Zeus,Spots)
    1.0 Striped Blood Corn Snake (Apollo)
    1.0 Lemon Blast BP (Hades)
    0.1 Bumble Bee (Athena)
    0.1 Pastel (Hera)
    1.0 Hypo Leopard Gecko (Jupiter)

Dogs
    1.0 Chihuahua (Peanut)
    0.1 Morkie (Bella)
    0.1 Pitbull (Roxy)

Rodents
    2.0 Chinese Dwarf Hamsters (Bubbles and Nitro)\
    0.1 Normal Chinchilla (Chloe)

Thanks

Re: New Advice On My Guinea Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Doggey75 View Post
    If you don't have the time to take care of one guinea pig by giving it attention getting two will make it even worse. You would need to double the amount of times refilling water,double refilling food etc. Guinea pigs love affection. I had the same problem with my chinchilla. We had to pay more attention to it and then it was doing great again. Sadly, I can't really think of anything that can help you without giving him away. I haven't had a guinea pig in a few years so perhaps someone with more experience can help you.
    thanks for the advice, im not one to give up on my animals, so im going to give him as much attention as i can and hope that helps. in fact he is on my lap as i type this lol
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

Thanks

Re: New Advice On My Guinea Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Eazyyyb View Post
    thanks for the advice, im not one to give up on my animals, so im going to give him as much attention as i can and hope that helps. in fact he is on my lap as i type this lol
    Great! I'm not either. I can't bare to part of any of my animals xD
    Reptiles
    5.0 Normal Ball Python (Ares, Poseidon, Hermes, Zeus,Spots)
    1.0 Striped Blood Corn Snake (Apollo)
    1.0 Lemon Blast BP (Hades)
    0.1 Bumble Bee (Athena)
    0.1 Pastel (Hera)
    1.0 Hypo Leopard Gecko (Jupiter)

Dogs
    1.0 Chihuahua (Peanut)
    0.1 Morkie (Bella)
    0.1 Pitbull (Roxy)

Rodents
    2.0 Chinese Dwarf Hamsters (Bubbles and Nitro)\
    0.1 Normal Chinchilla (Chloe)

Thanks
    I had 3 guinea pigs a couple years ago and loved them... But had to give them away due to a hay allergy that I developed. I found that they appreciated each other's company more than mine. Is there a reason you can't get a second guina to go with him? (small cage, etc.?) I know on many GP websites that is the number one thing they recommend. However, it can be hard to get a male to tolerate a strange male and sometimes they just won't get along.

If there is a guinea pig rescue in your area, you might want to check with them and see if they either have a young male that could go with yours, or if they would have a perspective home with another single male that might get along with yours.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Good luck with him. Some are noisier than others - I'm not sure that is a sign of distress. I had one many years ago that ran in a large pen with some rabbits. Everyone got along fine. He seemed like a happy guy. He was always making noise.

After all these years, I was just today given another. The neighbor offered as a return favor for taking care of his farm animals for a few days about a week ago. I am delighted to have him! This one gets rabbits for company too. He is in his own cage for now, until he settles in.

I would like to eventually breed him. Maybe the babies could be snake food - I know there is some controversy there. Too much fat, and I understand the fur can cause a blockage. Don't know if that just pertains to adults, or if the newborns are problematic too.