Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,019

2 members and 3,017 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Skin Problem with my ball python - HELP...

Spartacus

2013 (may) male pastel het red axanthic BP – 736 grams

Terrarium Contents/Cleaning

Ive had him since he was a baby. I started off by using plantation soil as a substraight in his 20 gallon exo terra terrarium, he has his hide and water dish alone with some imitation plants, and wood fixtures that I got from the local reptile store. I clean his home every week while hes being fed. I use part bleach and part water, disinfect everything, rinse it thoroughly, dry it off and put it back in place. Im very avid on keeping it clean properly since day 1.

Feeding

I feed live rats to him weekly. He had one down time for about 2 -3 months he wasn’t eating much, my records show that he consumed about 4 small rats in this time, which is what he usually eats in one month. This was last May-July, hes picked up his eating and everythings normal. Extremely active throughout this time.

Problem

Ive noticed when he was about 6 months old something that looked like “ scale rot” on his belly. I asked around, the breeder, reptile store professionals, and friends of friends who keep BP’s – their answer was “ its stuck shed it will come off” as it did. It wasn’t too bad at all. Everything cleared up and he was okay. Few months later it happened again, and a little worse… I figured it was the same problem as his temps and humidity is perfect, his home is very clean etc. It shed off with his next shed. These times I used non pain poly and gave him good soaks to help with the stuck shed. Worked perfect.

I was horrified when I saw this happening again this month. So I started again what I used to do, take out the plantation soil, use papertowel/newspaper while hes “ healing” – Gave him betadine baths, and used the poly while waiting for my vet apt I had immediately made, first opening sept 20 at noon which was the next day. Now Spartacus had just shed and it didn’t look so bad. Just the aftermath, a little red on his belly etc… the vet had told me its an allergic reaction to something. I narrowed it down to his substraight. In the past it seems that I removed it while healing, and I put it back after and with time the problem re appeared again. The vet assured me its not scale rot, he looks great, healthy, he checked him all out etc. Said I was a good owner for bringing him in as most people wait too long.

He suggested taking out the substraight that I was using for good (which I already planned to do) making sure hands are clean, no soaps, perfumes etc… no smoking around him, he suggested a lot of pre cautions for other things that could trigger his reaction to what I think is the plantation soil ( I could be wrong)- we have been doing this since. It seems after that shed, it happened again, and worse then ever. Ive called the vet again and brining him in again tomorrow (first appointment available) –

Mind you after the last shed, it almost appeared to have some stuck shed on his lower half where the problem area is… but its turning brown, and lifting, its not swollen and separating… just peeling in some areas, and discoloured. Almost like a blister popped in a couple areas. Also on his top, it looks like he has some of his coloured scales coming off. Just one by one, here and there? I don’t know if it’s the poly that’s causing it to slip off? The pictures look horrible… Hes completely active and seems normal.

My question is, has anyone experienced anything like this before. Is there any advice that anyone can give me that would be helpful. Keep in mind this is NOT a case of neglect and a dirty home for my Sparty, Hes very well kept and cared for.The vet didn’t give us any cream or medication just advice…

Any help would be appreciated. I feel horrible and I just cant figure it out.

Thanks for reading.

im trying to figure how to get pictures on here...

Thanks
    I use tapatalk for pictures (if using mobile device). Sadly, I do not have, or know anyone who has had this problem, but I hope someone who has more experience can help you.
    Snakes
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Zeus)

Fish
    1.0 Beta

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamerick For This Useful Post:

Spartacus12 (09-30-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

Re: Skin Problem with my ball python - HELP...

I have never experienced something like this. But I hope someone chimes in soon that has. Good luck

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

I have never experienced something like this. But I hope someone chimes in soon that has. Good luck

Sent from iPhone 5 using tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarsoldier001 For This Useful Post:

Spartacus12 (09-30-2014)

Thanks

Thank you - I haven't ever heard of it either... I went to the local reptile store here the owner breeds bp's and has a ton of knownledge - he told me it will shed off, I am going to bring him in tomorrow to see what the vet says, ill bring him by the reptile store too as the owner asked me to so he can take a look. I showed him pictures and explained to him the problem. Ive talked to him before about it, when it happened before. Hes adamant that it will shed off, but it just looks so bad? ill try on tap a talk to upload pics.

its so strange... my luck

Thanks

Here are the pictures.

My Sparty Party <3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    That looks like a burn...what type of heat source do you use how do you regulate it??
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 09-30-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Its just heartbreaking - everyone who has checked him out say's it will shed off and its not as bad as it looks but how can I believe that when it keeps happening. What am I doing wrong?! I cant help but feel like a bad owner - when in reality im an amazing owner! It just looks so horrible! Perhaps the vet was wrong. Im trying to reach out to the forum hoping someone out there has more experience (hands on) then the vet and can give me some other advice... He doesn't soak often and his humidity is perfect...I know when he soaks obv because his dish is low from over flow, and the paper/paper towel you can see its been dried. hes only soaked about a dozen times IF that since ive had him. So it cant be scale rot - considering its very clean in his home, and not too humid, and hes not a soaker. What the hell happened to my boy! So frustrated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles1101 View Post
    That looks like a burn...what type of heat source do you use how do you regulate it??
    ?
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

I was using under belly heating and I regulate with a thermostat - I know how sensitive he is - I keep a very close eye on him. Ive removed everything in his home except his hide and water dish. The vet told me to take the under belly heating off and use heat lamp. Which I have done. It never was hot enough to burn that bad? Unless he burrowed in his substraight (when I was using plantation soil) and stayed there for hours on end? He shed right before we went to the vet on sept 20 literally finished shed sept 19... it was just a little red at the time, did NOT look like this.
    I took the underbelly off since Now this? it cant be burn?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast