Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,484

5 members and 3,479 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

28 quart xpvc build

So I'm finally getting around to posting this. I built this rack last week out of expanded pvc or xpvc. It is made out of half inch 4 x 8 sheets. It took 3 sheets and I got them for 110 a piece and 35 dollars for the cuts. I could have made the cuts by myself, but this just saved me time and was worth the 35 to me. So the total for the three sheets and the cuts came to 365. I have built my fair share of racks but they have all been made of wood. This was my first go round with the pvc. I found the material a little bit more difficult to work with. It's very flexible and can at times being downright pita. Having said that, when it is finished it is fantastic. I don't think I will build another rack without using the PVC. It saved days if not at least a week or two, because I didn't have to put countless coats of polycrilic on it. I love the way that it will stand up over time as well. At the end I will put a breakdown of the cost for anybody who is interested. As I said earlier this is my first go round with pvc, so if anyone has any information to add, that has more experience using it I would really appreciate it. Feel free to jump right in. Also if you have any questions fire away. If I can answer for you I will do my best.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: 28 quart xpvc build

So I'm finally getting around to posting this. I built this rack last week out of expanded pvc or xpvc. It is made out of half inch 4 x 8 sheets. It took 3 sheets and I got them for 110 a piece and 35 dollars for the cuts. I could have made the cuts by myself, but this just saved me time and was worth the 35 to me. So the total for the three sheets and the cuts came to 365. I have built my fair share of racks but they have all been made of wood. This was my first go round with the pvc. I found the material a little bit more difficult to work with. It's very flexible and can at times being downright pita. Having said that, when it is finished it is fantastic. I don't think I will build another rack without using the PVC. It saved days if not at least a week or two, because I didn't have to put countless coats of polycrilic on it. I love the way that it will stand up over time as well. At the end I will put a breakdown of the cost for anybody who is interested. As I said earlier this is my first go round with pvc, so if anyone has any information to add, that has more experience using it I would really appreciate it. Feel free to jump right in. Also if you have any questions fire away. If I can answer for you I will do my best.

First up is the cut sheets and a diagram of the shelves

First thing I did was use a router to get a 6 inch gap for the heat tape. I used one continuous strip for each half. I measured 2 inches from the end. Due to the fact that when the hub it slid in the bottom doesn't start until 2 inches from the back.

As some of you may have noticed that I routed the 6 inch strip on the back of the shelves after I clamped them together. I was so aggravated when I did this that I went to do it on the side where it was supposed to go and I forgot to snap a picture. But by looking at this I think you can get a visual.

Next up was supports that went in the middle of each shelf. I had enough material after the sheets were cut to get the ten strips needed. Each piece was 5 and 5/8 inches tall and 22.5 inches long.

I used a speed square to make a line. It makes it exact and straight.

When you make your cuts you want to make them just outside the line so that you are piece is exactly 22 and a half inches.

I then used the router to make a 6 inch long gap on the bottom of the supports.

After that I began the assembly. I used this 90 degree corner clamp to get the bottom perfectly in place. And then I used a 36 inch clamp to get the middle tight. I drilled three holes in each shelf from the outside in. You have to be careful when you are drilling on the side that has the 6 inch gap for the heat tape. You don't want to drill in that six inch gap because you won't be able to slide the heat tape down to the next level.

I used a 1 & 5/8 inch trim head screw. It cost more, but I got the ones in which the head was painted white.

I do the same exact thing to add the other side on. After that I attached one of the shelves to the very top just hold. With this the middle is very flimsy and will bow out, so I added a clamp in a shelf in the middle to hold it. After that I started to build up one level at a time. I cut two scrap pieces of wood to 5 and 5/8. This way I had three pieces one for each side and the support for the middle that all measured 5 5/8. I put all three pieces in with the two tubs and then dropped the next shelf on top. I I pushed down and made sure that the bottom of the next shelf was tight to the side support before I drilled in from the outside.

Once I got to the fifth level, I laid the top shelf of the fifth level in but I did not drill it. Instead, I push down on the right side and made sure it was tight to the support inmate online on the side piece. By then repeated the same step on the left side.

At this point, I removed the shelf and laid it down on a side. And then use the circular saw to cut a long line on both the right side piece in the left side piece. I want that this rack to be split into two pieces so that it was easier to transport and would fit through doorways easier. Are then used to dowel jig to drill holes for the quarter inch dowels I was using. I held off on drilling the matching holes for the top section until it was complete. Once it was complete I drilled the matching holes and glued the dowels into the bottom section. Then set the top section down onto the dowels to hold it in place.

And then use this 36 inch clamp to clamp down on the middle. Once it was tight I used a hammer to tap the pieces in place and your super glue on longer seems to keep the pieces from moving. I let that set for about an hour. It was probably overkill but I figured better safe than sorry.

After that I ran the flex watt from the back

I used these half turn buttons so that the tubs can't slide out.

Thanks

4 x 8 sheets of xpvc 110.00(35.00 extra for cuts)
    20 28qt tubs 4.39 each 87.80
    2 20g tubes of super glue 11.96
    White trim screws 21.03
    4x8 sheet 1/8" eucaboard (back)

Thanks

Thanks

Oh yes, I forgot to mention one thing. When I was finished I sanded down any blemishes and all the edges on the fave of the front side. They had discoloration and stuff from the cuts. This stuff is amazing and for anyone wondering, it sands just like wood.

Thanks
    Does 1 thermostat work for this? I want to build a similar setup. Half the size. What thermostat should I get.

Thanks

I have a herpstat controlling this rack and it's spot on. You could probably use a hs1 but since I have it in two halves I'm overly cautious

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the response. I plan on copying this rack with a few alterations. So I will start shopping for the hstat 2. See your from Melrose, used to live in Plymouth it's far from there but same state. U have any issues with heat in the winter.

Thanks

No issues here. That's why I use all closed rack systems, they hold the heat in and I find it better for me that way. I just got married in June at the plantation in Plymouth
    Last edited by scooter11; 11-15-2014 at 10:59 AM.

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Nice build!!

I completely appreciate the totally finished look, but you could get an 11 tub 28qt rack out of one 4' x 8' sheet if you use pine supports for the sides. Maybe even cover the supports with some cheap white luan instead of using XPVC for the sides? Going that route you could have got (33) 28qt tubs instead of 20.

Every penny counts

11 high 28qt rack next to a 10 high 28qt rack (double stacked V18 racks in front of them).

We screwed up measuring on the 10 high rack. Had we gone 1/4" less on the width to start we could have gotten 11 high. The sides flex enough that I believe our final width was 15 5/8' width for the 11 high, where we cut the first 10 high rack at 16" wide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast