Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

0 members and 3,178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Wink New to the forums: Few Questions and What morph?

Hello! First post here. A little bit of backround. This is my first BP I have ever owned. Just got her a week ago. She was in mid shed 'in the blue,' and she was always hiding.. I have read every guide I could get my hands on online / these forums here. After a couple of days she turned normal.. I get home from work and she left me a couple of presents! Poo, and a COMPLETE shed. Wow is she gorgeous~

I know I need a second hide of the same. I just got some quick things to fill in till I purchase 2 exact hides online... I made some interesting ones. Here is my setup. While she was in shed I easily kept it at 70% humidity and now without spraying it all the time stays around 45-50 naturally.

It was interesting she is so friendly I was even handeling her while she was in shed. Very very shy but once that shed took off man is she a smarty pants! I really enjoy her personality! I can play some online games while streaming and have her around my neck no problems! (I Have only had her for 5 days now.)

I think that is enough back round.. So here are my questions

1) I am not total sure on age. That was one question if I could get an estimate. She is barely passed 3 ft.. I fed her while in shed and she took it. Previous owner said she fed once a week. I want a fatty ole girl so I am gonna try at the very least once a week.

2) I know people are gonna burn me for not having 2 of the exact same hides. Like I said I am ordering them. Till then how does this look for now? As far as husbandrys go?

3) Once a week food schedule is ok?
    4) What morph is this beautiful girl? From what I can come up with she looks like a fire ball.
    5) Was gonna name her bones cause she has a killer bone on her back. Check it out in the pics! =P (I named her Mishka - little bear in Russian)
    6) Does she look pretty healthy? Her belly is quite white. I don't see any previous shed issues or anything. No mites. I just mean weight wise I guess.

Wanted to say : Thanks for the information on here. I haven't owned a reptile in a couple of years and wanted to go back. Amazing information on here and I have watched every ball python video on youtube I could probably name them all too you. I live alone and wanted something that fun to chill with when I am not busy working and just want to game allllll day. Or rock out with some guitar and a killer around my neck~

If she is in fact a Fireball - I definitely wanna try to breed her later for some possible lucy's ^_^

This one is my favorite. She loves watching my other screen (I have a 3 monitor computer setup) And she'll just stare at what I am kicking ass in haha.. I just took her out of the cage and within 5 minutes starting warming up and just wanting to crawl all over me and things

And this one is the bone I was telling you all about haha

Last edited by metallica; 08-31-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: pictures weren't showing.

Thanks
    Hello. Interesting hides indeed lol I'm curious as to how she will like the jar one. Age is rough and I'm lacking in experience so I wont even attempt. As far as what morph, unless told otherwise or purchased as a subtle morph from a breeder I would assume she is a normal. She does have really nice blushing and a light colored head which are good traits for breeding projects. My most friendly snake kind of looks like her, instead of the bone though his interesting marking is a snow flake on his head lol. She will be the only one who can judge your hides. If she doesn't use one then replace it with something else. Dog bowls, old boxes and creative things work great for me. Feeding once a week is more then enough. Some people only feed their pet ball pythons once every 2 weeks. The once a week method is generally for breeders but works great for an active Ball python. She looks healthy and I'm sure you'll make sure she eats good

Thanks

Re: New to the forums: Few Questions and What morph?

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    Hello. Interesting hides indeed lol I'm curious as to how she will like the jar one. Age is rough and I'm lacking in experience so I wont even attempt. As far as what morph, unless told otherwise or purchased as a subtle morph from a breeder I would assume she is a normal. She does have really nice blushing and a light colored head which are good traits for breeding projects. My most friendly snake kind of looks like her, instead of the bone though his interesting marking is a snow flake on his head lol. She will be the only one who can judge your hides. If she doesn't use one then replace it with something else. Dog bowls, old boxes and creative things work great for me. Feeding once a week is more then enough. Some people only feed their pet ball pythons once every 2 weeks. The once a week method is generally for breeders but works great for an active Ball python. She looks healthy and I'm sure you'll make sure she eats good

I cut out the bottom of it at the back. Also - I put her bedding inside of it to make it keep some humidity and more comfortable for her. I have that huge piece of wood standing up so she can climb inside if she feels like being sneaky, or cause as night she likes to climb around zooming I noticed since after her shed.The right side I had her old dish and I use it was a 'ladder' to connect it to the water bowl so again - if she is on top of the hide can safely and calmy hop in the bath =P
    I bet she is all like OMG I CAN SEE WOW I HAVE A COOL HOUSE! =P

But I sectioned that part out (it's the cool side stays at 77-82) hot side right at 90. I have pretty badass temps where I live so it's easy for the pythons and man is it humid

Well, they stated it was bred and from a fireball. The only pictures I see are ones that are adults that are like vanilla light.. I read that the younger ones like what I have get lighter everytime they shed. So, that is why I was so curious. She has such an awsome attitude I feel really lucky to have adopted her. Quite addicting python breed indeed. She loves being handled and is just a straight up chiller when I am gaming.
    Last edited by metallica; 08-31-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Age would be really hard to guess. I would feed the appropriate size rodent once per week, and no more. You stated you wanted a "fatty girl" NO you don't it will shorten their lifespan, just as it does to humans!! She looks normal to me. You need to enjoy her for what she is. A shy snake that will be in her hide almost 100% of the time, and not your gaming, or guitar playing buddy!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albinos_rule View Post
    Age would be really hard to guess. I would feed the appropriate size rodent once per week, and no more. You stated you wanted a "fatty girl" NO you don't it will shorten their lifespan, just as it does to humans!! She looks normal to me. You need to enjoy her for what she is. A shy snake that will be in her hide almost 100% of the time, and not your gaming, or guitar playing buddy!!!

Haha, it's all good. You make it sound like she'll never be the cage. Just chill holmes~ She is all good in the cage. I took her out for pictures and I didn't mean fatty as in obese. I mean fatty as in healthy as f^^^~

Thanks

New to the forums: Few Questions and What morph?

She looks like a normal to me (but i don't know much about morphs, so thats just what it looks like. Idk if there are subtle hints that show a type of morph or not in her). When i take my ball python out, he will curl up in my lap and watch the tv.
    Last edited by Kamerick; 08-31-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    Snakes
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Zeus)

Fish
    1.0 Beta

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kamerick View Post
    She looks like a normal to me (but i don't know much about morphs, so thats just what it looks like. Idk if there are subtle hints that show a type of morph or not in her). When i take my ball python out, he will curl up in my lap and watch the tv.

She is a damn good eater as well. She was crawling around this EARLY morning just smelling everything.. I just had a feeling. Thawed one out for awhile.. She took it like a damn champ. It's cool when you start noticing things like that haha.

I fed her last tuesday.. she is taking it a day earlier than expected.. I am giving her 1 small rat. I might have to up the size.
    Last edited by metallica; 09-01-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    I love the little bone pattern, that's too cute
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Zorro)
    0.1 Citrus Bearded Dragon (Fudge)

Proud
    Army Wife​!

Thanks
    How much does she weigh? I think one small rat every seven days would be enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albinos_rule View Post
    How much does she weigh? I think one small rat every seven days would be enough.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks - That is what I thought as well. Today she just seemed extremely active in the cage early.. and she was just giving me this stare and tongue waving everywhere like she was on the hunt. Figured I would try it and she took it immediately. She seems a bit moody today and of course I never will mess with her a couple days after she eats.

As far as weight goes - I am going to get her weighed sometime this week and let you know. I am quite curious too cause I would really like to try to approximately age her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StacieLou View Post
    I love the little bone pattern, that's too cute

Thanks! I saw that and I was like - I have to get her!