Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

2 members and 3,423 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Is an active Ball Python happy?

I have our 1500gram female BP in a 41qt closed rack (too big??). She is a VERY shy eater and will only eat about once a month. We've tried to get her to eat better by giving her live (too nervous to take, we've only had luck giving her F/T), putting her in a new tub, cleaning the tub very well, zombie dance, etc. She's only eaten when we put the rat in her cage and leave her be for the whole night. We usually go to bed right after we drop the F/T rat in so it's dark and there are no vibrations she can feel. She'll eat maybe 1/3 of the time we do this. Recently we've been putting crumpled newspaper in her tub to fill space, and I've also given her a hide. As soon as I gave her the hide, I noticed she is almost always in it, but at night she is now exploring her cage. I've never seen her explore her cage at night, as she would usually just hide under the newspaper. Is this a sign that she is more comfortable? I'm trying to learn her language and know what she needs to eat better.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Its pretty common for them to take a nightly cruise.

Make sure the prey is presented as close to living temps. That means around 100 degrees. Warm water does it for me.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (08-31-2014),Galaxygirl (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    I personally believe a 41qt is too small for a completely healthy happy snake of any size but in practice it's plenty large enough... I use 41qts for all of mine because although it might not be optimal they do work and the snake can do well in them. I have some shy eaters that I have to do that same trick to get them to eat. It's probably a personality thing that is particular to your snake and nothing will probably change it I'd imagine. I'm sure it's a good thing that she is starting to move around at night, so you know she is ok. It could also mean she is hungry so perhaps try feeding her the night after you see her cruising. If I feed them the day after cruising though it seems to work. She could also be getting ready to drop a present for you What ever the issue is I'd imagine your snake is more relaxed now with the hide.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

Galaxygirl (08-31-2014)

Thanks

Re: Is an active Ball Python happy?

After reading through this: http://ballpythonbreeder.com/2014/08...thon-appetite/

I'm convinced her issue is perhaps that she just doesn't feel secure enough. Unlike my other BP's that can be picky sometimes, when I present the rat to her, she COMPLETELY freezes and will not even sniff it. She will hiss sometimes too before quickly retreating from the rat. She's a super scaredy cat, so I was hoping that her cruising around at night means she's feeling more safe since she had a hide now. I also have decided (after many wasted rats) that I'm only going to try to feed her when she's in "feed pose". As in, her body is in her hide, but her upper neck and head is out waiting for a meal. Sound like a good idea? Or other recommendations for shy eaters?

Thanks
    I have around 30 BPs and the "feed pose" works about 80 percent of the time on the ones that do that pose. I've had them in that pose and when I feed they quickly retreat, attack and kill the rat without eating or most often they will eat. My shy ones that I have to leave f/t in the tub over night never make that pose when I observe. In fact the shy ones rarely even cruise. I've tried so many different tactics and read a ton on this and have for now concluded it's a personality (potentially partially developed early on due to feeding methods used) that you will have to live with. As long as she does eat enough to grow she will be fine. As an owner we have to consider all of the wasted food products so perhaps looking for an indicator is the best method? I'm pretty much in the same boat you are with them and it's frustrating. I want to re-create those racks that have the built in hide in the back, I've heard great things about them. Apparently the simple idea of having the back of the rack dedicated as the hide where it is dark yet more spacious then I would think is needed, turns picky eaters into monsters according to Markus with Markus Jayne reptiles. Who knows lol
    Last edited by alan12013; 08-31-2014 at 05:50 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

Galaxygirl (08-31-2014)

Thanks

Well, I've noticed she's been spending time OUT of her two hides now. I put one one in the back of her tub, and one in the middle/front (hot and cold). She's been a lot more active at night then she usually is. I tried feeding her tonight, because I was sure having a squeaky clean cage with lots of safe places would make her eat. Checked on her about 45 minutes later, and she was just trying to get out of the front of her tub. I don't understand ):

Thanks

Oh wow. What you're describing sounds like whats happening. In fact that last post is verbatim the exact same behavior mine is doing .

It's crazy frustrating. Temps are good. Humidities fine. Plenty of hides. Low traffic area... I've been trying to figure out why mine's been doing this for weeks and nothing i've tried has worked. Gotta admit, it's kinda comforting knowing someone else has been going through the same thing during the same time of year~

I'll let you know if i find some secret to unlocking this weirdo behavior. Good luck with yours!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxygirl View Post
    Sound like a good idea? Or other recommendations for shy eaters?
    She weighs 1500g. How big are the rats you're offering her?

I have one that is the same way. She's a bit smaller than your's but the erratic feeding is about the same. Doesn't seem to like live food, won't touch anything unless no one's around. After months of on-again/off-again weekly feedings where she would eat once, take two weeks off, eat once, three weeks off, eat twice, off again, etc, I decided to try to listen to her. Looking at her records, she had been eating the smaller prey on average every 10 to 14 days. So...that's what I started doing.

Smaller rats, once every 14 days. That's it. Growth is slower, but consistent, and the feedings have become much more reliable. She hasn't missed a scheduled feeding in months now. The rats are probably much smaller than most people would feed (I've switched to smaller food on all my snakes in general), but she seems happier, she's one of my best feeders now and she eats every time she's scheduled to. Everyone's happy.
    Last edited by 200xth; 09-17-2014 at 04:34 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

saevam (09-17-2014)

Thanks

I'm feeding her small rats. She was on mediums, but after an uncomfortable long fast, the vet suggested i try smalls. I got her to eat again eventually on smalls, and that's what i've been sticking with until the not-eating started.

Should I try smaller than smalls do you think? Or I was thinking giving mediums a try. I dunno, maybe it's just me but she doesn't even seem keen on eating. During a fast she'll at least look at the food for a bit before declining, but lately she hasn't even acknowledged it. She's either sleeping and ignoring it, or trying to escape and ignoring it .

I just got her out to give her a once over. Check for an RI or signs of a sickness... and WOW was she mad! She's never mad, but she just gave me the biggest hiss i've ever heard from her. Flailed around too. Super uncharacteristic of her... I'm starting to think this these might all be signs of her feeling unsafe. I'm not sure why, given her number of hides and cluttered cage, but right now thats the only thing that makes sense...