Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,925

1 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Should I get a ball or carpet? Advice for noob.

I have wanted a python for a long time, and I think I am ready to get one. I would like to be able to handle my snake a couple times a week, and would appreciate a pretty docile and mellow snake that would relax on my arm or around my neck. I think a ball would be great for this. However, I think it would be really neat to have a better display snake that uses perches and is more active than a ball, which makes me want a carpet. I know carpets are supposedly nippy as babies and tame down with handling. I would like to stay around 5', so I have looked at IJ's and jungles. What would yall suggest - ball, IJ, jungle, or something else? I guess I am concerned about getting a carpet that gets too big or is not mellow and relaxed when being handled. I know balls can be finicky eaters, and read that carpets are prone to some health issues. Maybe, some of what I have said is wrong, hoping yall can give some advice. Thanks.

Thanks
    Get one of each

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Both are great captives. Both calm down with relative ease - exceptions can always be found. Carpet pythons get their "nippy" reputation mostly because they are pretty quick snakes. Many of the speedier serpents will try to flee when frightened and if that doesn't immediately work they often take a swing or two at the perceived threat. Ball pythons are not fast, they typically do their ball up routine when feeling threatened and only seldom put on the boxing gloves.

Neither are really prone to health issues; when kept right both are darn near bullet proof. Balls will go on feeding strikes, it's just a natural part of the species and something that stresses the keeper more than the snake. Carpet pythons will not live long lives if you overfeed them - that's their achilles heel. If you get a carpet python feed more moderately to maintain good muscle tone and you should be fine.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Should I get a ball or carpet? Advice for noob.

I dont think you can go wrong with either.

I think the best thing to do would be to find someone in your area with adult carpets who will let you handle one. They arent hard to handle, but their combination of length, speed, and strength could be a little overwhelming for someone brand new to pythons.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    I think most carpets get over 5 feet when adults (but they stay relatively lean). Have you considered a smaller python like a children's or spotted?

I don't own a carpet yet but they're on my list... I would say that if you have no snake experience, you may want to go with a ball python first. The baby carpets I handled (when considering to buy) were very fast and nippy... and the nippiness can intimidate you if you don't have snake experience. That said, if you do a lot of research on them and can find a local breeder that can show you the proper way of handling a baby carpet to minimize nipping and stress on the snake, you should be ok.

If you primarily want a snake to handle, a ball is a good choice. Both of mine are pretty mellow and slow moving. They have also showed zero aggression. A good point that someone else said on another post on the forum was that when handling a BP you can usually relax and do other things. When handling a carpet, you have to devote all your attention and both hands to it.. they are quick and constantly moving, so consider what kind of snake handling experience you want to have.

I would recommend a boa... I have two and they are hands down the most fun to handle and calmest of my snakes... But most boas get over 5 feet, with only a few localities staying smaller than that (terrahumara, some smaller hog islands, etc.).
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    You cant use baby as a reason for anything, as Mostly all "baby" snakes are very skiddish and nippy most hatchlings will slap you with there face alot! Unless im quick enough stop (9/10 im not) i get a lil bite, its really nothing to worry about.... Best best is get a well start of either species (few months old) theyll be much easier to handle.

Thanks
    Get a hognose! They're cute!
    "The best darn derpy ninja there ever was."
    -Sir Hognose 2014

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Hognose For This Useful Post:

Sammiebob (08-29-2014)

Thanks

Re: Should I get a ball or carpet? Advice for noob.

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I think most carpets get over 5 feet when adults (but they stay relatively lean). Have you considered a smaller python like a children's or spotted?

I don't own a carpet yet but they're on my list... I would say that if you have no snake experience, you may want to go with a ball python first. The baby carpets I handled (when considering to buy) were very fast and nippy... and the nippiness can intimidate you if you don't have snake experience. That said, if you do a lot of research on them and can find a local breeder that can show you the proper way of handling a baby carpet to minimize nipping and stress on the snake, you should be ok.

If you primarily want a snake to handle, a ball is a good choice. Both of mine are pretty mellow and slow moving. They have also showed zero aggression. A good point that someone else said on another post on the forum was that when handling a BP you can usually relax and do other things. When handling a carpet, you have to devote all your attention and both hands to it.. they are quick and constantly moving, so consider what kind of snake handling experience you want to have.

I would recommend a boa... I have two and they are hands down the most fun to handle and calmest of my snakes... But most boas get over 5 feet, with only a few localities staying smaller than that (terrahumara, some smaller hog islands, etc.).
    Good point. I know balls aren't really display snakes, but I would probably enjoy a snake that lounges more than constantly moving when I am handling it. Would a hog island be a good first snake?

Thanks
    Well, I can't speak for carpets...

But my ball python is superbly mellow, especially compared to my BTS and corn snake. Perhaps also atypical, because he is the best display snake! Hides all day, then perches right at the front of the glass for most of the evening, pretty much every night. Just watches the world go by. Sits on logs and branches.

I would think carpets would be much quicker than ball pythons, but each personality is different too. Keep in mind your space, the snake's environment, and budget as well. Hopefully that will help narrow some choices!

All the best.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Carpet all the way. jungle or darwin but I'm biased
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast