Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,953

1 members and 1,952 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Hognoses & Illinois

Hi all,

My name is Jenna and I'm an Illinois dweller. I'm fairly new to this site, but never fear I'm not so new to the crazy world of all things slithery and cute.

First off, I'd just like to tell everyone in this forum that I am soooo insanely jealous of your little hoggies. I remember the first time I got my hands on one, I think I might have swooned more than the time I played with my first retic and bought my own ball python. These guys are just some of the most fascinating little critters in the world and I just can't help but utterly melt when I see one. But, the main reason why I'm here is because I'm pretty sure owning and breeding and keeping one is impossible for me. I've tried my absolute hardest to read up on reptile regulations and laws in my area, but for some reason I have such a hard time understand what I can and cannot do. That may sound somewhat dumb, but I've always found that when someone explains something to me in their own words I can comprehend concepts way better. Getting off topic, anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with Illinois laws or knows of anyone I can talk to about this. I really adore the breed. I would really love to keep, breed, and raise them. I just don't see myself having a future jumping into breeding my ball pythons. There are just too many out there and I really don't want to add more unwanted animals on the market. Not to sound hypocritical. I'm not trying to strike gold in the snake industry. I'm just so interesting in genetics and the appeal of the hognose is just so tempting. I know selling them is probably not going to happen around here. I've looked around a bit, but haven't seen much info on the topic. Would loooove some input and advice and just general conversation. Maybe some help on trying to get focused on another breed to turn my interest in?

I dunno. Help a sister out or just show me your cute snakes.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Hognoses & Illinois

Just wanted to let people know I got a lot of great information about regulations and keeping hoggies from some people in my area. I'd say in the next three months, I'll be picking up my first pair and I'll probably get swept off my feet! Can't wait! Still would appreciate any advice though!

Thanks

Re: Hognoses & Illinois

i picked up my little western hoggie about a year ago. Between my 13 bpz and my jcp, Wilbur my hoggie has the most personality. He is always inquisitive and puts on a real show for me. My better half will only look at Wilbur and she doesn't mind holding him. I'm guessing you are interested in a western. When I acquired him, I made sure he was well established and feeding on f/t mice hoppers. He is on the same schedule as my balls and jcp and eats once a week. From what I researched, females grow larger then males. Currently, he is living in a 10 gal tank, uth, aspen bedding with 2 hides and a screen top. Humidity must be low since they live in an arid environment. Check out world of hognose for more info. I'm hoping to pick up another one next month at the NARBC in Anaheim, CA. Good luck and keep us posted.