Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

2 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Ball python focused reptile store

In my area there are no pet stores besides the big box stores like Petco and Petsmart. I HATE this. I really do miss those individually owned petshops I remember as a kid.

My question is what do you think of a reptile store opening with a ball python focus. I am talking a small store (1000 sq ft) with racks around much like a breeding facility will look like. I will breed animals there as well as buy from local breeders and sell. The majority of the inventory will be Ball Pythons but there will be a small portion of other popular animals such as beardeds etc. 90/10 split.

Would a store liek this be able to succeed? Are there enough people into the reptile hobby to keep this idea afloat. The business would provide the animals, food and housing needed to care for the animals they purchase properly. I would love thoughts on this idea. Its a tough trigger to pull, especially now days. BTW. I am in upstate ny (orange County)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Don't.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Not a good idea.. you are gonna breed and then buy and sell from others so half of your efforts will be spent in quarantine... .. I would do things from home and do like others... sell online like others....

Thanks

Re: Ball python focused reptile store

Good points with the quarantine. That could be worked out by bringing purchased animals to my home for a period of time but something to look into. But overall, owning a shop would be great. Just not sure how smart.

Thanks
    The problem is you would have the additional overhead of paying for the building, utilities, other employees, insurance, business liscences etc...and not many people would walk into a petshop and be willing to drop cash on high end ball morphs, you would need more diversity than a 90/10 split on animals.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 08-02-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    While we have many users that have large ball collections I believe these people are spread pretty thin across the nation. It seems there are more keepers that keep more eclectic collections. Their are two reptile stores that I go to for feeders and they both have a mixed bag of animals. I have never bought anything from them other than feeders and supplies. But I wouldn't say that I even buy many supplies from them as I'm a big online shopper.

If balls are going to be your focus I say do it from home and create a website. Much cheaper than a store front and them you can have a focused inventory as you can ship all over.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (08-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Nope. No No No No. If you're going to open a shop, sell supplies - stuff that turns over quickly. Think consumables and the equipment where having spares is a good thing, or when people run out they can't wait on shipping. You're looking at live or frozen feeders, bedding, F10, feeding tongs, mite spray, decent mid-range thermostats, UTH's, heat tape, digital thermometers/hygrometers, hides, deli cups and lids, shipping supplies, RHP's, CHE's and heat lamps, etc. Have a very few animals - maybe even your own, but not necessarily for sale - to bring people into the shop, to show off a safe and healthy enclosure setup, to be "ambassadors" to the public, etc.
    Last edited by bcr229; 08-02-2014 at 11:52 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (08-03-2014),KMG (08-02-2014)

Thanks

Re: Ball python focused reptile store

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Nope. No No No No. If you're going to open a shop, sell supplies - stuff that turns over quickly. Think consumables and the equipment where having spares is a good thing, or when people run out they can't wait on shipping. You're looking at live or frozen feeders, bedding, F10, feeding tongs, mite spray, decent mid-range thermostats, UTH's, heat tape, digital thermometers/hygrometers, hides, deli cups and lids, shipping supplies, RHP's, CHE's and heat lamps, etc. Have a very few animals - maybe even your own, but not necessarily for sale - to bring people into the shop, to show off a safe and healthy enclosure setup, to be "ambassadors" to the public, etc.
    If I were to open a physical store, that's what I would do. mulch/other bedding and feeders would be your biggest selling items.

Thanks
    Point well taken guys. Although it would be great to work with animals all day in a store setting, it is clear that it would not be a successful endeavor. Appreciate the feedback.

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Very few reptile specialty stores survive. Even those that do count on big shows and probably account for about 90% shipping. It will likely bankrupt you quickly, especially in today's economy.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com