Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

1 members and 2,800 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Probably her first feeding strike but...

So my snake is a picky eater and only likes live food. I have yet to attempt transitioning her to f/t but here's the story.
    Last week, I went to my local pet store and I usually pick up a small rat for my girl. They were out but had hamsters for the same price so I said why not. They were the same size and everything. I went home and fed, but she was acting a little strange. She watched it for a good 15 minutes before finally striking and eating it. She took it down like a champ. I figured she took so long because she wasn't used to a hamster as the kind of food source. I looked up if it was okay to feed hamsters to my snake AFTER feeding (probably a big mistake!)
    Today, they had small rats so I bought one, put it in the tank, and she showed extreme interest. She was flicking her tongue, coiling up, and going towards it like normal, but she wasn't striking. Every time it touched her she'd back away from it but stay coiled. She eventually struck, hit, and backed off, almost like a defensive strike. The rat of course was scared and stayed hidden in the corner of the tank. I let it run around for about half an hour, and she was losing all interest and eventually went back into her hide. I haven't changed a thing about her husbandry. Running 79-81 cool side and 90-92 hot side with around 56-62% humidity at all times. She's about a year old and weighs 798 grams, never skipped a meal. I'm probably just super worried about this but any help is appreciated, thanks!
    0.1 Normal "Toast"

Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks
    Feeding her something different could have thrown her off. Wait till next feeding day then try the rat again.

Thanks

Re: Probably her first feeding strike but...

I kind of figured and I'm hoping she'll be good this next time around. Thanks for help!
    0.1 Normal "Toast"

Thanks

Re: Probably her first feeding strike but...

I have heard once you feed them a hamster they will never want a rat or mouse again.. Hope this is not true in your case..