Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

0 members and 3,217 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Im in an odd predicament.

So, I live on the second story of a house that has no A/C upstairs. Basically, whatever temp it is outside, it is in my room. To give you an idea, I live in East central IL and the last week has been 77-90 F. Humidity has been high also.

My ball pythons terrarium is in my room. It's been getting to hot in her cage for her. Her warm side ranges between 91-96 F during the day and the cool side between 88-92 F.

I mean, I know they like it warm, but I would like it if she actually had a cool side to get cooled down on. :[ I put a fan blowing towards her but Im not sure what else to do. Right now she's laying against the glass on the 'cool side'. The humidity also gets raised up to 60-70% and thats with her water bowl in there only.

I have a fan on her, any other ideas on what I could do? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Im really worried about her getting an URI. Is this possible?

Thanks
    give her a really big bowl to soak in, that helps....
    1.0 pied
    0.1 spider het pied
    0.1 normal het pied
    1.0 pinstripe het albino
    0.1 albino
    0.3 normal het albino
    1.2 cinnamon
    0.1 lesser
    0.1 bumblebee
    0.1 pastel
    0.2 normal

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Im in an odd predicament.

Since you temps are so high do not provide a hot spot, your hot spot is is to high anyway when reaching 96.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Are you home all day during the day? If so you can set up a "redneck A/C" during the hottest part of the day: a small fan + 1 liter bottle of frozen water. Put the frozen water bottle by the cool side of your snake's enclosure, and set the fan so it blows air across the water bottle toward the cool side.

This is how I kept my BRB's under 85*F during a recent power outage where our temps topped 100*F. We have a generator but it's not strong enough for the HVAC, just the refrigerator/freezers, the microwave (if I stole the extension cord from the refrigerator for a few minutes), and some fans.
    Last edited by bcr229; 07-28-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post

What is this advice for. Irrelevant to the topic and frankly bad advice. Snakes shouldnt ever have to soak....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post

What is this advice for. Irrelevant to the topic and frankly bad advice. Snakes shouldnt ever have to soak....

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would just turn off your hotspot. If your consistently getting ambient temps in the upper 80s during the day and then cooler temperatures at night you'd actually give a very natural temperature cycle for your snake. No heating equipment necessary, no need to try and cool part of the cage off and heat a different part. I think that should work quite well

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

I agree with everyone about turning the hot spot off .... As far as the water situation goes it will not hurt your snake one bit to have a bowl to soak in if they choose .... While most do not prefer to soak and it is "SOMETIMES" viewed as a sign of health or parasite issue this is not always the case .... Most of my ball pythons do not go in their water however I have two that prefer to sit in their water bowls sometimes and they are perfectly healthy ... That's just how they roll.

Opinions are like a**holes .... We all have one , it just appears that some have one that is inflamed and makes them lash out others thoughts .... Geesh!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Are you home all day during the day? If so you can set up a "redneck A/C" during the hottest part of the day: a small fan + 1 liter bottle of frozen water. Put the frozen water bottle by the cool side of your snake's enclosure, and set the fan so it blows air across the water bottle toward the cool side.

This is how I kept my BRB's under 85*F during a recent power outage where our temps topped 100*F. We have a generator but it's not strong enough for the HVAC, just the refrigerator/freezers, the microwave (if I stole the extension cord from the refrigerator for a few minutes), and some fans.
    I love this! Redneck ingenuity

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CORBIN911 View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    Its perfectly good advice and complete relevant to the topic. For one; a large quantity of water takes more energy to heat up than air, so the water should be below ambient air temp for at least part of the day, providing a de facto cool spot. Second, the snake can also cool off by taking a dip in the bowl and air drying off. The evaporation process will remove some heat from the animal. Third, plenty of snakes enjoy an occasional soak and there is nothing wrong with it as long as it is not done excessively, which can cause health proplems, OR if the snake is soaking often due to other underlying husbandry issues.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk 2

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CryHavoc17 For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (07-28-2014),T_Sauer (07-28-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast