Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

3 members and 3,172 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: What are your top two preferred methods for buying animals online?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Independent Breeder Website

23 56.10%
  • Specialty forum classified (BP.net, etc.)

6 14.63%
  • Fauna / Kingsnake classifieds sites

21 51.22%
  • Auction-specific site

2 4.88%
  • Facebook (either group or individual breeder page)

6 14.63%
  • "Other" (please specify)

5 12.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Preferred Method of Buying Reptiles Online? (poll)

I've come across a lot of opinions lately on where the hobby is going sales-wise online and was curious to get a general idea of everyone's preferences when buying from a breeder online. I've seen opinions that forums, ks, fauna, and websites are dying due to a move to FB, but I've also read that many herpers are against the move to FB (for buying). What I'd like to do with this poll is get a little input from everyone on which methods you prefer to buy using (not necessarily what is most common).

I'm going to allow multiple choices for the poll, but please select only your top two preferences.

As always, thanks for your time and input. Feel free to discus this topic if you'd like as well.

For myself, I prefer to buy from a dedicated breeder's site (provided they keep it up to date and there's ease of communication and transaction) and from forum classifieds (i.e. our classifieds section here on BP.net). I like to know that people I'm buying from are professional and / or have a good reputation in the community. Seeing a person post on a forum, to me, demonstrates their knowledge base and makes buying from them more appealing.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    I currently keep 10 different species of snakes, so it's pretty hard to follow all of the specialty forums and know who the best breeders of so many species are. If I'm looking for anything in particular, will often start at kingsnake.com, to get a general idea of who might currently have it for sale. And then I check out the websites of those who are selling it if they have websites. I really do appreciate it when they do. I also follow the Facebook classifieds reptile ads and auctions some and have occasionally found snakes there that interest me for good prices. I have to wonder, though, if some of those Facebook deals (and steals) are actually crashing the market?
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wendhend For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Independent Breeder Website has a surprising number of votes. Do you guys just prowl around 50+ different sites regularly waiting for updates?
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    I was also surprised at the number of votes that "breeder websites" received. I'll admit, sometimes they are the only place to find a specific multi gene combo morph that I've been looking for, however, I could hardly rate them as my "preferred" method.

Thanks
    To be fair, I've only bought one reptile online -- actually, now that I think about it, I've bought all 3 of mine in the common ways: from a pet store (although I found her online), at a reptile show from a private breeder, and online (but met in person) through a forum where another breeder had recommended me said breeder. Sorry if that was confusing...

Essentially, if I am going to buy any animal online, I'd like to be able to meet up with the person in order to talk with them face-to-face, ask a bunch of questions, check over the animal, and pay in person as well. It's just the way I prefer to do it, but if I knew the breeder was well-known (BHB Reptiles, for example) I might be persuaded otherwise.

Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks

Re: Preferred Method of Buying Reptiles Online? (poll)

Most of my snakes have been bought through Ben Siegel's fb page where he does auctions and bins .i have never had an issue with Ben ever and will continue doing business with him. He gets a lot of business through his page but also get a lot of local business also

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk 2
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci

0.2 leopard geckos

0.1.0 water dragon

Thanks
    I do a lot of facebook auction buys from loxahatchee herp hatchery. You can get quality reptiles at great prices.
    Balls:
    0.1 Calico ph pied - 1.0 Killer bee ph clown -
    0.1 Butter - 1.0 pastel mojave enchi pin - 1.0 Pied
    0.1 Bumble Bee - 0.1 banana - 0.1 Spider mojave
    0.1 citrus sterling - 0.1 Albino - 0.2 yellowbelly
    0.1 Black pastel - 0.1 Spider - 0.1 Pastel Lesser
    0.1 Fire - 0.1 het pied - 0.1 Cinna Bee
    0.1 Spider het ghost - 0.1 Black pastel lesser

Retics:
    0.1 albino - 1.1 Purple
    0.1 Kalatoa Super Dwarf - 0.1 tiger

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Most of my ball pythons were found on Fauna. The other were on KS or from private local sales. Heck, one was on CL.

Thanks

Re: Preferred Method of Buying Reptiles Online? (poll)

Two came to me via craigslist, one Dumeril, the other a RTB. Three from pet shops. One Anery corn, a Blood Red corn (Jacks Pets) a Normal BP from Petland (where employees know nothing). Last but not least my adult BP was from a breeder at a local show. (Best $25 ever spent)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Independent Breeder Website has a surprising number of votes. Do you guys just prowl around 50+ different sites regularly waiting for updates?
    Yep, pretty much. I wouldn't say I prowl 50, but I definitely have my top 15 that I check from time to time to see if there's anything that I like.

Most of mine came from a local reptile store. I don't mind paying retail for quality. I also like to support small business. I did buy one of mine online and it was pleasant experience so i'll buy online if I don't find what i'm looking for locally.
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 07-30-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast