Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

0 members and 2,971 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New Hypo (Show Pickup)

Well... I went to the show looking for a JCP and came home with (among other things) another boa. I got a male hypo from David Levinson. He also had some jungle females, but they were a tad too dark for my liking (and had minimal pattern) so I went with this little guy. He isn't the cleanest hypo, but has good color and interesting head patterning. I also got him for a very decent price, so I'm happy.

This guy, along with my other pickup, is in quarantine now and I'm considering trying to start feeding on Tuesday.

I'd also like your advice on prey size / frequency. The breeder said every week and *I think* adult mice. My other boa is not this small, so I'd appreciate any advice you have on starting a healthy regiment.

Here he is with a highlighter for size reference

A tail pic

Interesting head stamp

The best "color" pic I could get. He's stretching towards the ceiling fan light.

Hope you enjoy the pics..I know they aren't the best. His breeder was professional and had some nice sunglows. I don't think I'd hesitate to buy from him again.
    Last edited by artgecko; 07-26-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Very pretty!! And a nice choice too.

I would feed mice at this stage. And, yes, a small adult should do. You want something that will be nearly as big around as the snake, but not quite so large that it leaves a lump. Every 7-10 days would be a good schedule. Should be fine to start on Tuesday.

This boa doesn't look like a teeny baby, so that's why I suggested what I did. Once a week feeding really shouldn't be a problem at this point as he's small enough. But it's hard to underfeed a boa and very easy to overfeed. When in doubt, go slightly smaller and less often.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 07-26-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks! I'll try him with a small mouse on Tuesday and we'll see how it goes.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: New Hypo (Show Pickup)

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    Very pretty!! And a nice choice too.

I would feed mice at this stage. And, yes, a small adult should do. You want something that will be nearly as big around as the snake, but not quite so large that it leaves a lump. Every 7-10 days would be a good schedule. Should be fine to start on Tuesday.

This boa doesn't look like a teeny baby, so that's why I suggested what I did. Once a week feeding really shouldn't be a problem at this point as he's small enough. But it's hard to underfeed a boa and very easy to overfeed. When in doubt, go slightly smaller and less often.
    This is good advice. If I could recommend 2 books to read for all snake keepers, I'd tell them to read THE COMPLETE BOA CONSTRICTOR and THE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON.

A lot of people assume a "schedule" for feeding is something to follow to a "T". What most forget about wild snakes is that they don't feed on captive bred rodents. Wild prey is lean, and contains far less fat than something a snake would eat in the wild.

Evenstar's conservative feeding schedule takes into account that the above is true and that most people over feed their snakes.

Personally, I feel everybody's goal should be to have a boa that lives at least 20 years.

If you look at anything written by Gus Rentfro, you will understand that well cared for BC's are apex predators when they reach full size, and the older they are the BIGGER they are.

I think Kali steers people in the right direction when offering feeding advice.

That is a nice looking snake you have there.

Edit:

I just noticed it was you and that you already have a BCA.

Nice addition and keep the pictures of both coming!
    Last edited by Gio; 07-26-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks! I'm thinking I'll feed once a week for the first month or so, then try every other week and make sure he doesn't get too thin. I'm assuming that babies this small will still have the "loaf" shape if in good shape, so I'll make sure he doesn't get pudgier than that or too thin.

Gio- I think you need a contract with ECO publishing company. But those books need to be advertized. I have four (boa, carpet, ball, and green tree python) and they do have much more info than the average pet book. They remind me of the "rhac bible" which I was lucky enough to get a copy of back when they were $50.00..and I thought that was high for a pet related book. If you are considering any of the geckos in that family, it is a good book to have (but I wouldn't pay as much as amazon is charging for it).

One more question about this little guy: Do you guys think his body shape looks healthy now? i.e. I should try to maintain his shape the way it is now? I just want to make sure I know what "shape" to look for with him at this size.

Thanks again for the great advice and help!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-27-2014)

Thanks

Re: New Hypo (Show Pickup)

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Thanks! I'm thinking I'll feed once a week for the first month or so, then try every other week and make sure he doesn't get too thin. I'm assuming that babies this small will still have the "loaf" shape if in good shape, so I'll make sure he doesn't get pudgier than that or too thin.

Gio- I think you need a contract with ECO publishing company. But those books need to be advertized. I have four (boa, carpet, ball, and green tree python) and they do have much more info than the average pet book. They remind me of the "rhac bible" which I was lucky enough to get a copy of back when they were $50.00..and I thought that was high for a pet related book. If you are considering any of the geckos in that family, it is a good book to have (but I wouldn't pay as much as amazon is charging for it).

One more question about this little guy: Do you guys think his body shape looks healthy now? i.e. I should try to maintain his shape the way it is now? I just want to make sure I know what "shape" to look for with him at this size.

Thanks again for the great advice and help!
    I think it looks really good!

Like I said I didn't notice it was you initially,, so I threw in all that extra stuff LOL!

Not your first rodeo,, you will do just fine and have a nice boa there!!

Thanks
    Yes, I think his body shape looks really good right now. You can see the muscling, but he's not skinny. The "loaf shape" Gio mentioned is what you're seeing with your guy now. You see how his back looks a teeny bit flat and there's a squarish appearance, instead of rounded, as it drops to his sides? That's what's meant by "loaf shape". Think of him looking like a loaf of bread and not a round sausage.

Is he a 2013?? I am still feeding my '13's every week. Just giving them slightly smaller prey. You would probably be safe feeding every week for a few months yet. But every 10 days would be fine too.

And I agree with Gio about the books.
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Too funny! I just waaay over feb my boy today. So much for good advice LOL!

I won't feed until September now. Fricking royal python refused a live rat after I fed the boa a good sized quail. I was debating and then just tossed it in because I had no option other than killing it myself.

However, I usually feed a somewhat odd style. Sometimes I'll go bigger than normal and wait 20+ days and other times I'll feed really small and wait 10-14 days.

I really don't have a set schedule, but I will say if my boa probably won't eat more than 3 times from mid October to April if I do things right.

Kali is dialed in, and I listen to her. My guess is she'll have a 30 year old boa if not a few of them, so we should stay here and wait LOL!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Evenstar (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    With 30+ snakes, I have to feed on certain days or I'd go nuts and forget who got fed what and when. lol

Some of my boas might outlive me.....
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-29-2014),Mike41793 (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Kali- I'm not sure what year he is... I think he looks like an early 2014 or late 2013. I'm trying to feed everyone tonight, so we will see how he does. I'm trying a small mouse and will adjust prey size after seeing how he does with that. Thanks again for your advice!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Evenstar (07-29-2014),Gio (07-29-2014)