Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,924

2 members and 2,922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

The Ultimate Ball Python Morphmaker Guide

This book showed up in my mail today. All I can say is that Kevin McCurley is a GOD! This book is unbelievable! The photos are amazing, and there are so many of them. It's worth it. My brain short circuited when I opened it up. So it's $100 out of my ball python fund, but it is definitely going to help me find my ideal BP!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoomama1 For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-22-2014),Eric Alan (07-22-2014)

Thanks

Re: The Ultimate Ball Python Morphmaker Guide

The only problem I've seen with this book so far is that there is no index. Morphs are divided by SR, CoD, D, SR +1, +2, etc. So you have to already know what the morph is to find it, or just fumble through alphabetically until you happen to hit on it. For instance, I've seen a Sable I like a lot, but know nothing about it. Other than a photo, there is likely info in there, but I haven't stumbled on it yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomama1 View Post
    The only problem I've seen with this book so far is that there is no index. Morphs are divided by SR, CoD, D, SR +1, +2, etc. So you have to already know what the morph is to find it, or just fumble through alphabetically until you happen to hit on it. For instance, I've seen a Sable I like a lot, but know nothing about it. Other than a photo, there is likely info in there, but I haven't stumbled on it yet.

Pg 164

Thanks
    I want this book so bad! Next month is my b-day I wonder if I can con a family member into buying it for me. I can only guess as to how much information is in there. Does it talk about how to "pretty up" certain genes? Like what happens if you add gene X to gene Ys or "...by adding gene X and line breeding 1 generation you can have a cleaner gene Y..."?

Thanks

Thanks

That site will break down the genetics you needs WOB will help alot to in fact the WOB genetics wizard app and WOB app are essentials in my eyes lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alan12013 View Post
    I want this book so bad! Next month is my b-day I wonder if I can con a family member into buying it for me. I can only guess as to how much information is in there. Does it talk about how to "pretty up" certain genes? Like what happens if you add gene X to gene Ys or "...by adding gene X and line breeding 1 generation you can have a cleaner gene Y..."?

Not really as I recall. A lot of that I don't think can be explained in such a way. A lot of the issue is that we don't have a full grasp on morph genetics. There is some talk in his first book about "layering" colors. I think it's said that Axanthic removed all but black and silver. In the Ultimate Morph Guide, there is a bit of general talk about specific genes. Like this gene cleans up patterns, this is a lightening gene, etc.

To quote: "The Woma is a color and mutation that greatly reduces pattern at times, while other times can help busy things and add noise, depending on the combo" (195). Sometimes it gets more specific: When bred to a Pastel Jungle or Lesser Platinum, the pattern seems to vanish and color variation is lost...The good news is that there are some mutations that combine well with the Champagne - Enchi, for example" (107).

All in all, there is some basic advice, but things react so differently sometimes, that it seems rather difficult to predict what happens with a morph.

I am glad I bought it. Looking through the pictures, you can try to predict what's going to happen, though it's a crap shoot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ESP For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-25-2014)