Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,938

4 members and 2,934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User DylantheVillain's Avatar
    Thanks

Moving to NYC....BP's Illegal? Housing ideas?

So I've had my beautiful BP for about a year now. She moved with me from Orlando to NJ. I shipped her 20 gallon terrarium and everything. I just got a beautiful apt in NYC and apparently Ball Pythons are not legal here. Is this going to be a huge issue? Also I know a lot of people don't keep there snakes in terrariums. Would a tub be less noticeable? Strange since they sell them at Pecto uptown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I don't think you're going to have any problems. Look at craigslist NYC, theres people trading snakes in every borough. Larger snakes are illegal to purchase in NY, the White Plains reptile show doesn't allow anything bigger than boas to be purchased. The truth though, no one really cares what you do in NY. I would be more worried about a landlord not wanting a snake then any problems with the law.

Thanks
    It'd be a risk to your snake. There was a man in a town not too far from mine a couple years ago who had to get rid of his two ball pythons. http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Man-M...138754324.html

I have no idea how lax NYC is in upholding that ordinance, but I personally would never put my own desires above the security of my animals. Would it even be able to get vet attention, or do vets not keep up with their local exotic animal laws?
    Last edited by raisinjelly; 07-17-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    I live in NY and actually had no idea they are illegal in NYC. I'm in Long Island where it's apparently legal, I mean I attend the Long Island Reptile Expo every year nearby and I'd say 90% of their animals for sale are ball pythons, fully on display. From what I've read they are illegal in all 5 boroughs of NYC, but I see some people who argue this. I guess this is sort of like the dumb ferret law, where you could easily get one for sale in Long Island and just keep them in NYC in 'secret'. I read that it may be a felony to own any pythons in NYC but you'll have to look into that, I really have no idea. Good luck though, this kind of bums me out now as I'd hate to give mine up if I move back into the boroughs.
    Last edited by francois; 07-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.
    1 Cinnamon Ball Python
    1 Extreme Okeetee Corn Snake