Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

1 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Shipping to a hub???

If I'm getting a snake shipped to a hub to avoid my new addition bouncing around in a hot truck all day is there a specific type of hub or just any fedex office?

Thanks

Re: Shipping to a hub???

Well, I would call the FedEx hubs in your area. The FedEx shipping office in my area freaked out and told me they couldn't hold a reptile there. Note the regular FedEx shipping center in my area it's great and I've had great experiences. I also get my snakes shipped to a hub because I live in a very rural area and they don't ensure delivery before 430pm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by elbee; 07-14-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts
    The hub I use is close to the airport, it's located at 3340 E Thomas Rd Phoenix AZ.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A hub is by definition staffed by Fedex so the animal should not be sent to an authorised dealer or copy and print type store.

When locating a hub near you http://www.fedex.com/locate/index.html?locale=en_FR# select staffed location.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Shipping to a hub???

Thanks deb and Dave much appreciated info!

Thanks
    Deb is correct and the link she provided is what we use to find acceptable locations.

You definitely don't want to send to a FedEx Office (Kinko's), as they could refuse it and send it back. No good.

You want a FedEx staffed facility. Unfortunately, the FedEx search page is doofy. Even if you filter just for staffed facilities, and exclude FedEx Offices, they still force in FedEx Office location results.

What you can do is use the Filter for Dangerous Goods facilities, and that will take out everything except the actual FedEx staffed hubs. Those are the locations you want. Reptiles aren't dangerous goods, it is just a trick to make the Filter work for the result you want.

As for Mom-N-Pop shops, PakMail, Mailboxes Etc type spots, they each set their own policy on accepting Perishable (live) shipments. They also get a small fee for each box they accept, so there is an economic motivator for them. Don't ship to or from those locations on a whim, but you can certainly stop in and get it okayed beforehand. Those independent dealers are small businesses, just like many reptile breeders, and they are often more than happy to help. Let them know you are shipping or receiving harmless live reptile shipments, on an approved reptile shipping account, with proper packaging, and that their location is close or convenient for you. If you are professional and pleasant about it, you won't typically have any issues, but instead actually build a new and positive relationship.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

JLC (07-16-2014),SlitherinSisters (07-24-2014),Zach Cedor (07-16-2014)