Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,184

3 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

2 Female Crestie viv size?

Hello,

I know the Rhac part of this forum is pretty slow, but I thought I would post this just to see if I can get a response anyway.

I plan on getting a crested gecko from my local reptile expo in August. I want a female so at some point I can breed her with my partners male, Archie. Anyway, I think it would be cool to get a pair of females, and let them live in the viv together! Now, here is my potential problem.

I am guessing that a 30cm x 30cm x 45cm viv is tall small for two adult females. However, the nest best size I can find over here in the UK is 45x45x60cm. This may be too big for me at this point in time.

I’ve heard that 20 gallons is the min for two, well the first viv comes out at 40,500cm^3, which is ~9 gallons. The second is 121,500cm3, which is 26.7 gallons.

What sort of size viv would you feel happy keeping them in? I personally would love two, but it looks like I will have to settle for a single female in the smaller vivarium. Not a big shame, as I can still get one which is amazing!

Thanks,
    George
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks
    http://www.onlinereptileshop.co.uk/r...50cm-5831.html

This would be perfect, however it is a mesh sided viv! Humidity would be impossible to keep!
    I own:
    1.0 Reduced Normal Ball Python [Peter]
    0.1 Harlequin Crestie [Amelia]

The other half owns:
    1.0 Orange Dalmatian Crestie [Archie]
    0.1 Golden Dalmatian Crestie [Banana]

Thanks
    Not sure if they have these in the UK, but I keep two females in the 18" x 18" x 24" version of this tank and have had no issues. The key is to keep a lot of plants, hiding spots, branches, etc. so that they can have obstructed lines of sight and also to provide multiple food bowls so that one can't chase the other off.

With that tank and the similar exo-terras, you can keep live plants as well which helps with humidity. I use this setup in my classroom (they are my class pets) and it looks great.

With the geckos, just make sure the two are the same size / weight and also introduce them both at the same time so that no one has "claimed" the tank as their territory. Mine scuffled for about a week or so to work out the pecking order, then they were fine. It's always recommended to also keep an eye on their weight when housing together to make sure neither is stressing out or being bullied. Just be prepared to pull either if things don't work out.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS