Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,044

1 members and 2,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Registered User crazypythonlady's Avatar
    Thanks

Angolan Python Info from keepers

I am interested in getting an Angolan python and need a little insight from someone who has kept them for at least two years. I just want to know what is to be expected and if they are a good fit in my collection which has 6 balls pythons, a Green Tree, and a Carpet Python. Any insight would be greatly helpful.

Thanks
    Can't believe no one else has commented! Let's see . . .

I have two 2012 Angolans. Both are curious snakes that watch what I'm doing when I'm in the room -- if they're not watching, they've either just eaten or are in shed. They are very ready feeders.

Their temperaments are not ball python-like. At least, in my opinion. Think, somewhere between a ball and carpet python. Both were squirmy as babies and would relieve themselves in self defense. The female is now just fantastic. She's tied with my JCP for favorite snake. The male is still a little nervous, but also still slowly improving. Neither has bitten in self defense, although the female did strike toward me the day I brought her home.

Mine haven't been big climbers, but seem to like to sit on objects in their cages. When they want to be active, they can be pretty roamy.

Has far as husbandry . . . They seem to like slightly lower temperatures than the ball pythons and don't seem to require as much attention to humidity. That said, people keep them the same way and they do just fine. They're really fairly hardy snakes. Mine poop more often than either the balls or the carpet.

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head. Hopefully, something in there was helpful.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

crazypythonlady (07-13-2014),Wapadi (07-13-2014)

Registered User crazypythonlady's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for responding! I am definitely getting one as soon as I can. Thank you for the insight on Husbandry I know in Angolia temps range between freezing and 122 degrees so you affirmed their hardiness. Thank you again. After getting struck many times from my GTP an angolian will probably be a walk in the park lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crazypythonlady For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-15-2014)

Thanks

Re: Angolan Python Info from keepers

I have a female. She like the other poster was very nervous when I got her. Lots of relieving herself and hissing. She however only bit or even struck once. I've actually found she likes it a tiny bit warmer than my ball. Behavior wise she's fun. She's very curious and active.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joeysham For This Useful Post:

crazypythonlady (08-02-2014)