Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

3 members and 2,983 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Pic Request! Properly Labeled Shipping Boxes

I'm looking at my first time(s) shipping coming up here in the next couple weeks. I've never dealt with shipping before at all, I've never even received a shipped live animal.

I've found a lot of written info, I'm still going through the SYR FAQs, and searching through stuff on here, I've tried Googling, and it's all great . . . But I really feel like I need clear visuals. And I haven't been able to find what I want, except for one picture of Deborah's.

If anyone could post clear photos of an appropriately labeled box, with Wildlife - Live Harmless Reptiles, how to present species and quantity, the works, that would be fantastic. For instance, should the one or more sides of the box also be labeled for wildlife and species? And exactly how folks organize paperwork inside the box would be great, too. Also, photos of anything relating to this request that I'm just not thinking of right now.

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Pic Request! Properly Labeled Shipping Boxes

The Lacey Act is fairly vague about what is specifically required. You want to meet the minimum requirement, at least. But it does not specify any size, color or font for the labeling.

We cover the Lacey Act and package labeling in our ShipYourReptiles Get Help section. Sounds like you might have already read that.

Wildlife- Live Harmless Reptiles

That covers the federal need, and also address popular state requests, as with California.

In addition, you need an itemized list of species, scientific names and quantities of each. That can be on the exterior of the box, or on a invoice/packing list with easy access. Easy access would be in an exterior clear label pouch, or under the top flap. If it is a commercial shipment, it would have an invoice, if it is a private shipment, you can hand write a packing list.

You should include your name, address and contact phone number on either.

As for the size and style, there is no requirement or specification. The purpose of the labeling is for auditing inspection by Fish & Wildlife, not for any FedEx handling. Writing in big, red visible letters on the outside of your package about your snakes will only get you phobic handling, not better handling. I suggest keeping it low key.

When we ship live packages, we label the upper right hand corner of the top of the box with a regular ball point pen, in normal sized writing. The inspectors will look for it there, they won't miss it. But it also doesn't yell "Fear me!" to anyone along the line that is afraid of snakes.

Some states are extra particular about auditing incoming live/perishable shipments. California, Florida, NY are three of them. Cali uses dogs to sniff out live shipments, and mislabeled or unlabeled packages can be rejected, or cause delivery delays. Turtle shipments of animals under 4" have also been troublesome going into California.

Feel free to contact us directly with any questions or for specific help! info@ShipYourReptiles.com

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-19-2014),kc261 (06-21-2014),Megg (09-05-2015),Poe (09-05-2014)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is how I label all my boxes inside and out

Inside it also contain my info and the customer info as a backup

Outside label

Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-19-2014),kc261 (06-21-2014),Megg (09-05-2015),Poe (09-05-2014),Shadera (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks, Robyn and Deborah! That really helps a lot, I very much appreciate it.

Deborah, I like that layout and having the info in both, accessible places. I'm thinking I'm going to copy that. Again, thank you both!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (06-20-2014)

Thanks

Re: Pic Request! Properly Labeled Shipping Boxes

That is indeed some sharp looking labeling and packaging!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (06-20-2014)