Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

0 members and 2,827 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-eating Baby

Thanks

Non-eating Baby

Hola peeps.

I have a 2013 female lesser bee who has eaten in the past, but not for me. I got her as a gift three months ago from a friend and she ate while there in Florida but now here in California, she won't. She ate a f/t pup when left with it overnight from what I've been told.

Repeating this feeding method has gotten me nowhere. Temps and humidity are within ideal range. Three weeks ago I moved her from a 28 qt tub to a six, hoping she would feel more secure and willing to eat. No change insofar.

She's been offered both pups and mice. The only feeding response I've gotten from her was on an adult mouse and she quickly let that go and proceeded to ignore it.

I worry now because she is a still a little bugger and doesn't have the reserves to not be eating in this manner. Any assistance or advice would be awesome. Thanks guys.
    All the Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Vorenus"
    0.1 Normal "Shy"
    0.1 Lemon Pastel "Fera Domina Rapax"
    0.1 Lemon Blast "Lutea Pallide Striata"
    0.1 Lesser Bee "Cornelia Marcescenti Araneae"

All the Other Ones
    0.1 Lynx Point Siamese Cat "Cry Baby"
    0.0.3 Goldfish "Goldie" "Pazuzu" "Adolf"

Thanks
    Even moving her to a new tub may have caused slight stress. So id say give her 1-2 more weeks max before changing feeding habbits.

If after that time it doesnt work, Try offering her ASF mice. If you can find a breeder they are a good way to break snake fast's (live/frozen) If loosing weight as you said faster then shes gaining id go with live. after few solid feedings switch to frozen ASF, once thats been accomplished, then go back to Rat weans/smalls.

Thanks
    Are you feeding live or f/t?

Thanks
    I have a similar problem. I got my new Spider female (8 months old) 2 weeks ago from a breeder and he said she was eating small live rats every week, however, she has not eaten a week before the delivery to ensure no digestion problems occur during the transport. I set her up in her enclosure and let her without touching, feeding, etc. for about 6 days. After that I tried feeding f/t as I could not get a live rat. She did not take it, she did not even notice it, smell it, go near it. I decided to give her another week to settle down and this time I bought a live small rat, (the size she was used to eating before). I put it in her tank and again, she did not care about the rat, this time she seemed afraid of it.

When I got her she was 300 grams, after 2 weeks she is now 290 grams.

My set up: two hides, water bowl, cool side temp 25-27°C, ambient temp 28-29°C, hot side up to 32°C, humidity 50-57% depends also on the weather.
    Her behavior: during the day resting in the warm hide or on the branch hidden in the artificial plant; during the night she is very active (trying to find a way out???)

I already own a ball python and I know that they need a time to settle down, however, my first ball python never refused a food for me, not even when I got him.

Any advice from you guys?

Thanks
    For the OP, are you warming up the frozen-thawed mouse enough. I pulled 2 small rats out last night for mine and placed them in the fridge last night for todays feeding. I will get home and put them in hot tap water while I prep their feeding cage. I have even toyed with the use of hand warmers which I may try tonight. Either way also make sure you are feeding gradually. If they are not eating, then start smaller and work your way up.

metalsmoker I think you need to try F/T WEAN. If you use the 10% body weight thing for now you should be roughly at Wean rats at the highest. You may even want to try a large pup just to get it eating.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

metalsmoker (06-10-2014)

Thanks

Re: Non-eating Baby

Sorry for the wait and TY for the suggestions, peeps. I feed f/t, thawed slowly in warm water and then use hot water to warm them up.

I have never had a problem with this method before and have transitioned live feeders to f/t and mouse feeders to rats successfully.

According to the breeder, she's taken f/t from almost the get go and my friend who bought her got a f/t rat pup down her with no problems. Since moving her to a 6 qt tub a month ago, she seems a bit calmer but still isn't feeding. Her reaction to offered prey seems to be a fear one, even from small pups and weans. She has struck at a mouse in the past but as of today, showed no interest other than fear.

I left a f/t mouse in her tub today to see if she needs peace, quiet, and darkness to eat. Still hoping for the best here.

I am reluctant to try live only because of her fear response and prey aggression. I don't have a feeder rat breeder nearby so my options are the local chain pet store for mice.
    All the Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Vorenus"
    0.1 Normal "Shy"

All the Other Ones

Thanks

I am having a similar issue. I just get a fear/aggression response whenever I introduce any type of prey. My sterling just strikes at everything as soon as I put in a food item! I haven't figured out what to do yet my next try will be an ASF. If you figure anything out let me know. I will do the same for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons
    1.1 het pied
    2.0 spider
    0.2 pastel
    1.1 spider het pied
    1.0 sterling pastel
    0.1 lesser
    1.0 special
    0.1 mojave
    1.0 albino black pastel

Thanks

Finally broke down and bought live feeder mice. Frozen mice were the only thing this baby has struck at in the past, so I though it would be a no brainer with live.

Turns out no. The live mouse that was smaller than the frozen I offered produced a fear response. The snake tracked it for a few minutes, then tried to flee out of the tub. I removed the mouse and am now housing it. I plan to offer her it again on Friday.

Any suggestions or comments would be very helpful in this rather frustrating situation.
    All the Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Vorenus"
    0.1 Normal "Shy"

All the Other Ones

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Do you have a hide?

Are you feeding in its enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

thegamejr (06-25-2014)

Thanks

Yes she has a hide and yes she is in her enclosure. Throughout this process I've tried to disturb her as little as possible. She has taken food in her tub both at her original breeder and with the person who bought her for me.
    All the Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Vorenus"
    0.1 Normal "Shy"

All the Other Ones

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast