Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,981

2 members and 2,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Eastern hognose & feeder toads

All of the threads (on this forum and in internet searches) concerning the issue seem to be very old. I am very interested in easterns, to much more an extent than western or southern. Feeding scented mice is a bad idea or so I've read multiple places, as they're very fattening and can affect the liver. So, are there any sources of feeder toads or frogs around the South of Boston area? Or anywhere else in the country from where they can be shipped? I'm also very curious, because I've yet to see anything about this, whether feeder toads can be frozen and thawed like rodents or if they need to be fed (and more importantly kept) fresh.

Thanks
    I can't tell you anything from personal experience, but the only thing I found was this ad on kingsnake.

I'd think breeding your own could be done relatively easily if you can freeze them... You would probably only be able to breed once a year though (seasonally) then freeze the toadlets at the appropriate sizes you need.

Good luck in your search! I love easterns / southerns too but they are illegal to keep where I live (GA)
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Eastern hognose & feeder toads

Blarg, those aren't cheap. It appears they're all wild-caught as well (and shipped live). I would love to keep a feeding colony, but can't at the moment. I guess I should go for a rodent-eating species for now, but thanks for looking for me. Maybe someday, someone will care enough about easterns to start breeding their food instead of scenting mice. Maybe that will be me! In the far future.