Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

1 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Baby rabbits

Thanks

Baby rabbits

I found these while mowing the yard today. I am temporarily keeping them. [IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    >_> What are you going to do with them?
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks
    + = or let free and eternal happiness

Thanks

Re: Baby rabbits

Omg don't do that it could be someone pet I use to have bunny and everyone once in a while they get out. It would be like if your snake got out and someone just feed it to there pet. That really mess up

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Sorry for the lack of details. The reason I am holding on to them for now is because if I turned them loose here their chances of survival would be very slim. They would surely be killed by one of the many feral cats around here. I will be turning them loose at a park away from where I am.

Thanks
    Yes because relocating wildlife from one area to another is always a good plan

I Gots Me Some Snakes...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Once the nest is disturbed the mom is extremely unlikely to come back. The babies would end up getting hungry and bold and leaving the nest and would either get eaten by something or starve. Get them to an wildlife rescue or feed kitten formula if they aren't eating solid food for you. You did the right thing by keeping them if the nest had been disturbed by the mowing.

If you guys don't have experience or don't have the details, don't make assumptions. In general, opinions which are not well founded are worthless and in some cases dangerous. Ignorance breeds ignorance. If you don't know, just be quiet and learn - and hope the person you're learning from isn't shooting from the hip with an unfounded opinion.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    They look old enough to be out and about. Their eyes are open and they are big enough to leave the nest. I would put them back. Mom will find them.

http://hopline.org/rabbit-health-and...a-wild-rabbit/

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/wildbabies.pdf

Does that rabbit need help?

Mothers feeds baby rabbits only twice a day—at dawn and dusk. Baby rabbits found alone in a nest are usually not orphans.
    If a nest has been disturbed, put it back together and cover the babies with the grass that originally covered them. To check if the mother is coming to care for them, place several lengths of yarn (small branches work, too) in a grid pattern over the nest. If the grid is disturbed after the next dawn or dusk, the mother is still caring for the youngsters.
    Baby rabbits leave the nest when they're 3 weeks old and about the size of a chipmunk. If you find a chipmunk-sized but fully-furred rabbit with eyes open, ears erect, and the ability to hop, she is meant to be on her own. As small and helpless as she may look, she's not an orphan and doesn't need your help.
    You can prevent harm to baby rabbits by checking your yard carefully for rabbit nests before you mow. Do this especially if you've let the grass get taller than usual.
    Outdoor cats and dogs are a major threat to bunnies. If your pet gets hold of a bunny, alicensed wildlife rehabilitator or veterinarian should see the bunny immediately. And bring the pet indoors immediately. A dog or cat will remember where the nest is and put the other bunnies at risk.