Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

3 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: New brazilian rainbow boa owner questions

Quote Originally Posted by colton62 View Post
    So I'm thinking of moving my boa to a tub now. I saw a lot of people recommending 41qt sterlite tubs. I have a UTH that said it's good for 10-20 gallon. Should that be fine for a 41qt tub?
    No, I would get the largest UTH you can find. The 41 quart tub will be huge for a baby BRB but you can alleviate that by providing lots of small hides, fake vines for it to hide in, etc. Also, if you have a large UTH you can use two water bowls, one on the cool side, the other on the UTH, and still have room available for a warm side hide. The two water bowls will help you keep the humidity up without having to soak the substrate.

And yes a thermostat is a must, you don't want it hotter than 85*F.

Thanks

Re: New brazilian rainbow boa owner questions

Oops. My bad it's a BCI baby boa. I have it setup and it seems to be working good for now. I will run out tomorrow and get a larger one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Cool Re: New brazilian rainbow boa owner questions

I'm no expert on ownership for this species... "yet"... But from what i can tell is that you've got the right idea and set up. However if you're going to use a heat bulb until you can get the heating element you want, I would suggest a Zoo Meds Moonlight bulb. I use these on both my Ball Python and Leopard Gecko enclosures. This type of bulb is the best as it doesn't give off to much heat or light. Since Ball Pythons and Rainbow boas are both primarily active at night this bulb will allow you to still view your snake at night while not disturbing it's natural cycle. If you wish to observe your snake during the day just use a regular florescent bulb for lighting since neither a ball python a rainbow boa requires a UVB bulb. As for substrate Cyprus mulch and orchid bark work equally well as substrates to. Also add some sphagnum moss to the enclosure as this will also help with the humidity. A fogger is also a great way to maintain the proper humidity levels as well, I use one in my ball python enclosure and she loves it. This helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12