Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,200

1 members and 2,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Mites with large collection?

How do you deal with mites if you have a pretty large collection (30+ snakes). I mean ideally you want to treat everyone with reptile spray and provent a mite to kill all of the mites. But with a large collection, it is just not very practical to treat every snake weekly for a month. I don't have a large collection at all, but just wanted to know how you guys deal with this problem. Do you guys just treat the ones that are infested? How do you prevent the spreading of mites? Anything you guys do particularly to prevent mites in the future?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If mites are in a collection then you have to treat the entire collection as required, I would also recommend to spray around the racks.

The real trick is not to have mites to start with and the Key is strict quarantine procedures, I have been doing this since 2006 and not once have I ever have mites.

They don't just appear on their own they are brought in, and if you are pro-active have good quarantine measures it should never even be an issue.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (04-22-2014),j94712 (04-18-2014),Ripsaw642 (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Is there anything you do to prevent any mites? or just make sure quarantine the new snakes well?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Mites with large collection?

Any new snake is quarantined for 60 to 90 days, each quarantine tubs are treated with PAM, I also spray the QT room door threshold (to create a barrier) same thing for the door threshold of the snake room ( I even spray the stairs)

And obviously I always work with my established collection first and QT animals last.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j94712 View Post
    Is there anything you do to prevent any mites? or just make sure quarantine the new snakes well?
    PAM aka prevent a mite

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks

NIX (head lice treatment) Works wonders too, possibly better than PAM. I Use it on my new snakes.....
    http://www.albertareptilesociety.org/caresheet/Onix.pdf
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Granite Anery Bloodred Stripe, 2.2 Bloodred Stripe , 0.0.1 Bloodred, 0.0.1 Hypo
    0.1 Sandfire het Leucistic Bearded Dragon 1.0 German Giant
    2.1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Cockatiel
    1 Wife, 4.4 Kiddos

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ripsaw642 For This Useful Post:

j94712 (04-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ripsaw642 View Post
    NIX (head lice treatment) Works wonders too, possibly better than PAM. I Use it on my new snakes.....
    http://www.albertareptilesociety.org/caresheet/Onix.pdf
    IMO nothing is better for the prevention or killing of mites than PAM. It's saved me on a couple of out breaks fast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rob; 04-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

sakura_noir (04-21-2014)

Thanks
    How do you guys use PAM for prevention treatment? Do you do the actual treatment as instructed on the PAM once in a while for the whole collection? or a more abbreviated treatment (spraying a little in between tubs in racks every month)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j94712 View Post
    How do you guys use PAM for prevention treatment? Do you do the actual treatment as instructed on the PAM once in a while for the whole collection? or a more abbreviated treatment (spraying a little in between tubs in racks every month)
    I use as directed the same way then if I had mites and renew 30 days later.

I used to treat my entire collection once or twice a year but I no longer do this (have not done so in two years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

j94712 (04-20-2014)

Thanks

This is all very helpful information and most timely. I'm relatively new to keeping ball pythons, but have armed myself with knowledge so I can give my babies the best care possible. I'm thanking my lucky stars that I heeded all the advice to quarantine new snakes before introducing into the collection. I am experiencing my first case of mites on my new girl and have decided to use the Nix treatment this evening...ironic that the prior owner made such a big deal about her mite-free status. I should have known something was up. She is currently occupying a room that could not be any further away from the rest of the collection, so it's my intention to nip this in the bud. Everyone else will be treated first just in case someone might haven inadvertently transported the nasties around the house, then Saffron will get her turn.

I'm thankful for the excellent resources furnished by this forum and look forward to an exciting night of cleanup . But hey, as long as the scale-kids are healthy and happy, it's worth the effort.