Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,807

1 members and 2,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Gopher snake and some other wildlife

This time of year is pretty busy for me, as a biologist. I'm out hiking my monitoring areas most of the day. Most of my work is monitoring bird species, but I also take note of the other animals I see, including reptiles. The usual species I see are fence lizards, side-blotched lizards, coachwhipes, gopher snakes, California whipsnakes, and California kingsnakes, depending on the area I'm in. If I'm lucky and my timing is right I sometimes see other species.

So today I was in a local wildlife area. Lots of birds out and about, including a juvenile bald eagle. Also had my first of the season sightings for Yellow-headed Blackbirds, among the common riparian and marsh species I typically see. On my way out, I got to see this guy, a San Diego gopher snake. He was basking on the road, and a pretty good size, I estimate about 4 foot long. I took my picture from the car, then hopped out to get him off the road. I didn't actually pick him up, but I was able to put my hands on him before he decided to move away. Wasn't in too much of a hurry to get away, so I was able to get some real good looks. I like the snakes I keep in my home, but it really is a different feeling to having a wild snake, that has to fight to survive every day, in your hands.

Here's the bald eagle. Not a great picture, but you can kind of see it on the rock sticking up from the hillside.

I just wanted to share.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

Divinity (04-17-2014),Pyrate81 (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Your job sounds pretty cool.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

sorraia (04-17-2014)