Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

0 members and 2,813 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User Benjamin Serenity's Avatar
    Thanks

Where to buy a hognose?

Hello, I'm really interested in buying a Hognose because they are adorable. I was wondering if I could keep him/her in the same rack as my ball pythons? Do they require the same temps/humidity?

Also, any suggestions on what breeder I should go with? I am just looking for a normal, no special morphs because I won't be breeding.

Thanks!

Ben
    1.0 Normal(Stanley)
    1.0 Normal(Luca)
    1.0 Cinnamon(Gustavo Fring)
    0.1 Pastel(Lenessa)

Guinea Pig: Calico Female (Guinea)

Thanks
    There's a lot of conflicting info out there on hognose temps. I've seen some sites that recommend a hot spot of 95, but most say around 90 (some even say lower around 86 like you'd keep a cornsnake). They don't need as much room as a BP especially the males which stay smaller.

I would say once you find a breeder you like, ask them what temps they keep their hogs at and do the same.

I would also suggest getting a more well started snake. I got a juvie that was around 12 grams last July and have had feeding issues with him, which is why I'd suggest a larger snake that is already feeding regularly on f/t or whatever you want to feed. Apparently feeding can be a common problem with hogs, so just be prepared. Other than that, he has been a neat snake temperament wise.

Here are a couple breeders that I have heard good things about.
    Cahaba River
    Extreme Hogs

This is the breeder I got mine from. I think their prices are a little high for normals, but they seemed honest and I didn't have any issues with doing business with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Where to buy a hognose?

I'm pretty sure Deborah breeds hoggies. Pm her.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (03-23-2014)

Thanks
    I'm not sure where to get one there, but I can answer your other questions based on my experiences so far. I got my first hoggy, an albino male (9g at the time) about a month ago.

So far he has a feeding response/metabolism that is so much higher than my BPs! He is literally a hog! He will happily eat daily if I let him. I started him off on large pinkies and he hasn't finished them so we are feeding them off every other day. Anyway, with the increase in eating comes an increase in pooping!! I have heard they can have feeding issues, but I've experienced the opposite. I would suggest only choosing a snake that is a good solid feeder of f/t mice.

I keep him on/in carefresh. I make it about 3 inches deep and he burrows into it. I had some hides at first (individual greek yogurt tubs with a hole), but he wasn't using them and opted to burrow. Not surprising since the "nose" scale is adapted for digging/burrowing. When he poops he often poops under the substrate so spot cleaning is nearly impossible. As a result of both, he requires full substrate changes much more often than my BPs.

Humidity should be kept fairly low. I actually tried keeping him in a sterlite shoebox at first but I couldn't keep the humidity down enough (it kept jumping up to 60%+), even though he was on dry carefresh and the water was on the cool side. From what I've read it's best to keep it under 40%. He's in a 5gal fish tank with full ventilation now (He'll be moving to 20gal soon). I might have been able to make the tub work with a LOT more holes, but this was easier. If you can keep your tubs that low, then it should be fine, but be aware that these are very small snakes (esp. at first) and can squeeze through very small gaps!

Temps I keep the same as my BPs, 90F hot spot, and 80F ambient.

This is Wilbur, and I agree with you, they are adorable!
    Shelagh

1.0 Normal BP (Link)
    0.1 Pewter BP (Mara)
    1.0 Kingpin BP (Corona)

1.0 Albino Hognose (Wilbur)