Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,924

2 members and 2,922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Don't OVERUSE heat packs in the winter!

DON'T OVERUSE HEAT PACKS! Overuse of heat packs in shipping cause DOAs!

Winter shipping often requires heat packs. But we recommend using ONLY ONE heat pack unless you are doing a very large box (like our kit #5 at 30x16x10).

We have seen a few recent shipment where folks have put multiple heat packs in box, using the "if one is good, two is better!" philosophy. This has resulted in the loss of the animals.

In a small or medium sized box, multiple heat packs will exponentially increase the ambient temp of the box into very dangerous territory. Check out the chart below for the temps that a single heat pack puts out. More is absolutely not better, just much much hotter. Hand warmers in particular peak at 180F!

The purpose of a heat pack is NOT to warm or heat the box, it is to prevent it from getting cold. You want a temperate box, NOT a hot box!

If it is "too cold outside" to ship, consider doubling up insulation, or waiting for warmer weather, but do NOT use extra heat packs, that does not result in a safer trip!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

JLC (01-23-2014),Lupe (01-23-2014),rabernet (02-06-2014),tlich (01-22-2014),ViperSRT3g (01-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the critical reminders, Robyn!!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    From that graph, it looks as though the 72 hour pack is the most stable in terms of temperature. It doesn't get exceedingly hot, and it lasts the longest.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!