Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,060

1 members and 3,059 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Argh, petco. I noticed that each individual petco has its unique merits and flaws, depending on who's working there at the time. What's sad to me is when the employees are afraid to handle the pets they're supposed to be selling! Why work there then? If I' the customer, have tpo be the one to open the cage and remove the animal for inspection, then something is wrong. I almost bought a cute rainbow boa frrom a petco, but decided "no" and got my BCI instead from a good pet store. I don't go in petcos anymore, it enrages me.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Question???About Baby Ball

The problem is, even in a city (memphis, a medium town to some of you ) there are not quality petsores, there are also no herp shows that I have been able to hear about so we have little choice but to go to the dreaded petco. I got my snake from petco and he is fine, but I have been to different ones and they all are at a different standard. The other day I went to one that made me very angry, but the one across town, where my friend works, is fine in that department, possibly becuase she is a herp person, but I still wish I had somewhere else to shop. The other pet supermarket I have found is way worse and the private store didn't seem all that great either. Whats a girl to do?

Thanks

Re: I hate petco!!!!!!!!!!!

I would really advise against buying snakes from petco. When I bought my babyball python there were 5 in one 20 gal tank with only one hide. I bought one just to get it out of there. And then on top of it she had a minor case of scale rot from the place too. I figured that it had to do with so many snakes being in one place that perhaps they couldn't keep up. When I called they asked if I was sure that she got it from the store and not from home. I was livid, I had bought a brand new tank, scrubbed it and everything else down with a "green friendly" cleaner, hosed it all down, let it dry out and then put it together and I had bought her 3 days prior. Luckily I had found it early when I was handling her regularly so she would get used to me. She's doing wonderfully now but it was a lot of hassle.

Basicly if you arn't up for a part way rescue mission, Don't buy a snake from petco.

Thanks

I've been going to a petco 10 minutes from my house for my feeder mice. They are usually all healthy looking and well fed except on one occasion I noticed a sickly looking mouse & pointed it out to the worker. I'm pretty sure they took it out as I didn't see it again the next time I went in there. The rats at this store are way too large for my bp and everytime I go there it looks like they are the same group. Have a feeling no one buys them there. This store had 1 bp in a tank with 1 large hide in it. I didn't ask to look at so I am not sure what kind of shape it was in but I myself would not buy a bp from a Petco. Getting my feeder mouse is pushing it as it is especially after seeing a sickly looking one. I wish I knew of a place I could get my feeders from that was as close. The reptile store I know of is about an hour away from me.

1.1 Normal bp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Who dug up this dusty old thread? The person who originally posted this joined in 2004, and hasn't been on since.....
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    Who dug up this dusty old thread? The person who originally posted this joined in 2004, and hasn't been on since.....
    Yeah, but in 6 years...that message hasn't changed much, has it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killpetco View Post
    I went in to my local petco the other day to buy feeder mice. they were all out so i walked around and looked for someone to help me. i saw a dead beta floating in the water on my way, and remembered how i saw a lizard running around the last time i was there. i also got my boa chub-chub from there previously. , and he had mites, as well as all the other snakes. not just the boas, but the balls, and the little cornsnakes. i found someone who was cleaning out the tanks for the insects, which they keep right next to the reptiles. and asked her for some mice. the only thing left was fancy mice. i asked her for one of those instead, and seeing how they were a great deal bigger, i figured it was a nice step before rats. she refused to sell me the fancy mice, and walked away. i followed her and asked why she wouldnt sell them, she replied, "i have moral and ethical problems selling a fancy mouse for snake food". Thats a load of crap i said. i then pointed out the poor condition of all the animals, the dead ones, and pointed out how 8 snakes were kept in a 20 gal with 1 hide, and they were surrounded by bright florecent lights whit nowhere to go. i couldnt help it and i cussed her out, scaring 2 other employees. i then called the corparate office to tell them about the condition of the animals, and the hypocracy of their treatment of some animals, but not others. they told me they wont sell a "Fancy Mouse" for food due to them not being imbred, unlike the feeder mice. then i told her of all the other problems they had there, and she denied there was a problem, and said animals do not run on the loose there, and she knows for a fact. she told me there were no dead animals there, and the snakes did not have mites. i then told her of the costs to fix my mite problem, and more importantly the time and stress on the snake. she more or less pretending to half way care, but i had a feeling they could give a ratts A....... i am having a friend go in to buy a lot of "Fancy Mice", for his "personal collection". I am, then going to record the execution c02 style, and leave the tape on their doorstep.. My snake will eat like he is upperclass! I want to go back and kidnap the lady and all the employees, and feed them to an anaconda.. this might be why my g/f will not let me get one.. hehehe!
    YES!!!! do that!!! buy 100 of those fancy mice, i wanna see the vid when u do it
    1 RED TAIL BOA
    1 BALL PYTHON
    1 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA
    1 CORN SNAKE

Thanks

I didn't read all the replies, but if you actually read the signs about feeding live, then you'd know their stance. PetCo feeds their snakes f/t and they encourage you to do the same.

If you wish to get a live mouse or rat, just buy it. You have no obligation to tell them what you're purchasing it for.

God forbid they care more about your snake than you do
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

oh boy..

Thanks

LOL, I was reading this thread and looking at peoples join dates. Kept seeing 2004 and thinking "Wow, that's weird how a bunch of people who joined in 2004 came back to talk about Petco. Oh wait... When was this posted?!"
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast