Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,406

3 members and 3,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Extremely malnourished ball

I recently got a little ball python girl, who is extremely malnourished. She is about 18 months old and weights only 112 grams. Her previous owner got her when she was about a year old, and even then she was only about 300 grams. The previous owner was new to the ball pythons and didn't realise that something was wrong. She didn't managed to get the snake to eat at all, not once in whole time she had her. Finally she realised she can't keep the snake anymore. So when the poor baby came to me, it hasn't been eating at least for 6 months, maybe never. She is very emaciated, although still active. I have a picture for you, taken last night when she arrived:

So I talked to few friends of mine who have more experience in ball pythons. In conclusion, I assist fed her last night. The food item was under-sized and she took it well, strangling and swallowing it by herself. Seems that she is able to keep it down (it's been now over 12 hours). The plan is to continue feedeng her small mice in every five days or so.

This is the most skinniest snake I have ever seen, ever. Do you guys have any experience in this kind of situation, do we still have hope of recovery? Any advice how to proceed?

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Finland and I have not been writing in english for a long time.

Thanks
    WOW!!! Im so glad youve got her now! Please keep us informed on her condition.
    ~~~~~ROACH ~~~~~
    1.0 Normal
    1.1 Piebald
    1.0 Banana
    0.1 100% Het Piebald
    1.1 Het Lavender Albino
    1.0 Lesser
    0.1 Killer Bee
    0.1 Spider
    1.1 Pastel
    0.1 Butter Bee
    1.1 Mojave
    1.0 Black Pastel 100% Het Piebald
    1.0 Fire
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Lesser Bee
    0.1 Super Pastel
    0.1 Cinnamon

Thanks
    Wow. I don't think I have ever seen a snake that skinny. Please keep us updated on how she is doing. Thanks for helping her!

Thanks
    this is terrifying, and cruel. how can people let it go to that extent?

i guess (just guess) a reptile vet would put a tube through her mouth and put in something to rehydrate immediately, followed by nutrition. directly into the stomach.

she is skin and bones, its so terrifying. i fear for the organs, how can it come to this? I hope i am overreacting and that this will be a recovery story. (please keep us updated no matter what). But the image sends chills down my spine.

EDIT: the image distracted me from what you wrote under the image. I am glad she took a meal. For now, if she eats, i would attempt to get 15-20% of her current body weight into her every 5 days, and when it works gradually lower to normal growing hatchling/subadult scedule of 10-15% every 5-7 days.
    Last edited by Pythonfriend; 09-29-2013 at 03:25 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

jaded (09-29-2013),Pyrate81 (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Re: Extremely malnourished ball

*1. The fact that she held down a meal is promising.

*2. Feed her again in 5 days?(someone with better knowledgeable please chime in)

*3. Don't keep a large amount of hope for survival. I know this sounds insensitive but it's realistic you may lose her.

*4. Make sure your husbandry is up to par.

*5. I'd guess with each successful feeding increases chances of survival.

*6. Pray to whomever you pray to.

*I'm going off what I've read from others to help you out with all information given.

**Seriously!? This guy is asking for help about his BP which is probably near death and all you can say is "keep us posted!" Sorry to sound insensitive in my inebriated state but I'd say post some help or just bump the thread.

***ty pythonfriend
    Last edited by Pyrate81; 09-29-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

Heeltoeclutch (10-21-2014),jaded (09-29-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonfriend View Post
    i fear for the organs, how can it come to this?
    This is my biggest fear also. In few days we'll see if her digestion is still working. I had her drinking good amount of water last night and I've seen her drinking by herself after that. I am considering soaking her in some point, if the hydration doesn't start to amend. I also think that the trip to vet and tube-feeding would be too much distress for her to handle. So my hope lies on regular small food items, perfect housing conditions and time...

For now, if she eats, i would attempt to get 15-20% of her current body weight into her every 5 days, and when it works gradually lower to normal growing hatchling/subadult scedule of 10-15% every 5-7 days.
    I don't think her emaciated body can bear up a bigger feeder. Slow but steady start is where I am heading here.
    Last edited by jaded; 09-29-2013 at 03:42 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jaded For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    a powerfeeding scedule to, for example, get a male hatchling to breed real soon is: 15-20% of body weight every 5 days, i think this is in order here. if she can keep it down and takes it.

Just go from her current weight of 112 grams, so for now try to maybe put between 17-22 grams into her every 5 days. under normal conditions this is powerfeeding, but under these extreme conditions it is what is needed. I guesstimate under normal conditions she should be at 400 grams now, at least. The conflicting messages are: "plump her up" and also "dont overdo it".

Heck, i retract and say i dont know, if her kidneys or liver already got a beating then maybe what i advise is too much for her to stomach, quite literally.

EDIT: OP snuck a post in before mine try frozen thawed or prekilled assist feeds. And maybe you should start slowly.
    Last edited by Pythonfriend; 09-29-2013 at 03:45 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

Hazardous_Pink (09-29-2013),jaded (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    i dont know: take it slow for now, or go right to a powerfeed scedule? im now a bit torn. she needs to get over the hill and into stability, but then when she is stable i guess some powerfeeding for a while is in order, to get her to normal proportions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaded View Post
    ...I don't think her emaciated body can bear up a bigger feeder. Slow but steady start is where I am heading here.
    EDIT: OP snuck a post in before mine try frozen thawed or prekilled assist feeds. And maybe you should start slowly.
    From what i've read on the forums taking it slow seems the best route whether she survives or not. Small meals so her system doesn't get over-loaded is probably the best(my guess for the first 3 feedings if she keeps them down). After the 3rd feeding then move her up in size or increase number of prey items.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pyrate81 For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (09-29-2013),Crazymonkee (09-29-2013),jaded (09-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

this is terrifying, and cruel. how can people let it go to that extent?

i guess (just guess) a reptile vet would put a tube through her mouth and put in something to rehydrate immediately, followed by nutrition. directly into the stomach.

she is skin and bones, its so terrifying. i fear for the organs, how can it come to this? I hope i am overreacting and that this will be a recovery story. (please keep us updated no matter what). But the image sends chills down my spine.

EDIT: the image distracted me from what you wrote under the image. I am glad she took a meal. For now, if she eats, i would attempt to get 15-20% of her current body weight into her every 5 days, and when it works gradually lower to normal growing hatchling/subadult scedule of 10-15% every 5-7 days.
    If you don't understand the 10-15% rule and when to recommend it, please stop using it. I mean no disrespct by this but that's only the case with hatchlings. A snake that's longer will offset that and if you understood that in the first place then you would not recommend it. So again, please stop.

@OP - I'm not sure if they have pedalite in Finland, but that may help I hope but regardless it's still worth a shot. It's not the cheapest stuff and it doesn't have any kind of a shelf life but I know from a cases with a few dehydrated animals that worked wonders. So it's worth a shot if you can, but the only thing is you'd most likely have to pour a down a tube so a vet would be the best bet for this.

As far as feeding her, 5 days at the maximum. What I would do if I were in the situation is feed 5 days for the first 2-3 meals. Then once you see that she's using the bathroom and passing everything okay, I would try to bump up to 4. The reason I say 2-3 is because then maybe she may start eating on her own. Keep us updated on her situation please. Thanks.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (09-29-2013),jaded (09-29-2013),kat_black181 (09-29-2013),Sammiebob (10-21-2014),satomi325 (09-29-2013)

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast