Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

0 members and 2,874 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Red face Solution to the chewing problem

Now I'm sure someones already thought of this idea, but for those who didn't I thought I'd share a solution I came up with to stop rats from chewing through things they're not supposed to.
    About a week ago while I was constructing a couple of bins for my breeders, I was thinking about how the mice colony I had a couple of years ago chewed right threw the plastic. With my big male being a big chewer, I was worried I would have this problem again. And then remembered the half empty bottle of "Nature's Miracles No-Chew" spray I had to buy a year ago when my dog was going through his teething stage. I know it was designed for dogs but I figured, it's really just a bitter taste spray... So why wouldn't it work on rats?? I read the ingredients and there doesn't seem to be anything harmful in it. So I tried it and it worked!!! I very lightly sprayed it around the edging of the holes I drilled for the water bottle to poke threw. My male instantly ran up to the area knowing there was a weak spot he could start chewing threw but then he stopped, sniffed around it for a little bit, then turned way and went about his business. I couldn't believe it! Rex has always given me problems because he can and will chew through anything and he knows it. This is the first time I've ever seen him turn away from chewing on a vulnerable area. I've very lightly sprayed the area twice since in the past week and haven't had a single chew mark from any of the rats. Along with this method I also provide each bin with a couple of chew sticks to give them other outlets to chew. Like I said, I'm sure somebody has already thought of this but I definitely though it was something worth sharing for those who didnt. Again I didn't seen any ingredient I thought to be toxic to rats, and none of my rats have shown any signs of illness since I started using it. Hope some of you will get something out of seeing this Happy breeding!!!
    -Melody

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Melody For This Useful Post:

Rickys_Reptiles (08-28-2013)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting.

There is another very cheap option to this type of problem and it is offering something to chew own.

A piece of 2 x 4 in their tubs will keep them busy.

Of course this mean that they should not run out of water or food and the tubs should be flat with no edges.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Solution to the chewing problem

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Interesting.

There is another very cheap option to this type of problem and it is offering something to chew own.

A piece of 2 x 4 in their tubs will keep them busy.

Of course this mean that they should not run out of water or food and the tubs should be flat with no edges.
    Exactly I keep a a piece of scrap 1x1 in every tub and they gnaw on that. I have never had a chew out (of course now that I said that today one of my tubs will have a nice hole in it will all the rats escaped)

I Gots Me Some Snakes...

Thanks

Re: Solution to the chewing problem

Like I mentioned in the post, I provide each bin with assorted chewing sticks. This of course helps as well. This new method is mostly just for the masterminds(Like my guy Rex) who chew their sticks along with everything else, and still have their eyes set on escaping.
    -Melody

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Another cheap solution:

Feed off rats that bite things that aren't food!

In all seriousness, this is a good suggestion. I will try with my ferrets who like to chew the wires in my room.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Good to know that works! Hopefully it works equally well on all rats.

Besides bits of wood or chew sticks (rats especially seem to like apple and cherry wood! btw), dog biscuits are a good chew thing. They of course won't last nearly as long as the wood, but just something to add some variety.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sorraia For This Useful Post:

Wapadi (08-28-2013)