Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

2 members and 2,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I am interested in learning about the husbandry of HOTS

:shock: Hey everybody,
    Well, I have a new Columbian redtail boa and I have recently become aware of the existence of this Inclusion Body Disease and I must say I am rather worried and concerned. From what I have read this disease is very similiar to AIDS in the way it spreads amongst snakes and in its effects. I am worried about my new Boa...she appears perfectly allright and shows no outward pathological signs and is feeding good...but according to the literature I have read that means nothing. And what really scares me is that pythons are supposedly even MORE susceptible to the onset of IBD and that the addition of an infected boa into your snake collection could wipe out your pythons. :shock:
    I have my new boa seperated from my BPs and I work with my BPs first and THEN deal with the new boa...is this enough??? is there a real threat of IBD in getting your boa from a reputable breeder/dealer ( I did ) I hate to sound paranoid but this IBD sounds like truly nasty business...

EyeLashViper :?

Thanks
    where did u get ur boa? in a reputable breeder, thjere is most likly not gonna be IBD in his collection. i am gonna be getting a columbian boa, and im getting it from alex hue. i ahve talked to him about the possibility of IBD in his collection and he says that his snakes are doing fine. but you should always take precaustions. stick with ur bps 1st, then ur boa. use seperate tools (tongs,etc).
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rex322
    where did u get ur boa? in a reputable breeder, thjere is most likly not gonna be IBD in his collection. i am gonna be getting a columbian boa, and im getting it from alex hue. i ahve talked to him about the possibility of IBD in his collection and he says that his snakes are doing fine. but you should always take precaustions. stick with ur bps 1st, then ur boa. use seperate tools (tongs,etc).
    I agree, those are all great tips. I also handle my snakes in a similiar order: colubrids, python, boas and quarantines.

It's really scary that boas can be asymptomatic. There's only so much I guess we can do and then we just can't worry ourselves crazy as long as we are careful.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    It's really scary that boas can be asymptomatic. There's only so much I guess we can do and then we just can't worry ourselves crazy as long as we are careful.
    I agree, you just need to place a good isolation procedure on your new snakes, (any animals for that matter).
    IBD is very seriose. But I have noticed many poeple get worried over nothing.
    You just need to follow good guidlines.
    Thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/