Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

0 members and 2,895 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Doesnt want to eat ...need some advice.

So i got a male blood python albino T+ that he refuses to eat .
    i got him 22 days ago. he just ate 15 days ago and since than he refuses live or dead food .
    i dont know what do to anymore ... he guy i got him from said to me that he ate mostly live mice . but i tried everything 7 days ago and today- so its been 15 days since he didnt eat.
    the 1st time he ate in my care was a dead defrost adult mice that i had to put it in his mouth .
    i tried this several times but he seems to be very angry with me trying this method. i tried to leave the mouse overnight but no result. and no interest in live mouse .... .
    i have 78F in the cool side of the box and 86F in the hot spot where i have the headpad. the heatpad covers 25% of the box.the box is not big , i used the same dimesions as the guy that kept it and sold it to me .
    he has a hiding cave like exo terra and a bowl with water. humidity is 50-60% and he has no signs of sheding .

any advice? i am so worried ..... thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    A couple things:

Why did you assist feed him? There's no reason (IMO) to do this unless the snake is deathly thin and will not eat on its own so you need to intervene or the animal will die (if I remember from another thread by you -if it wasn't you I apologize!- the animal looked no where close to being this thin). This could have stressed the snake enough to make him not want to eat right now.

Never leave a live mouse in with a snake unless it's a pinky/fuzzy as even small adult mice can cause harm to your snake if left unattended. Always supervise live feedings.

It sounds like you're trying many things very often: leave the snake alone for a week in between offerings. Some snakes take longer to acclimate before they start eating readily: leave your guy alone unless you need to substrate clean. How often have you handled/handling him since you got him?

My T+ will only eat when leaving a f/t feeder in with her: she's only struck off tongs twice for me since owning her. Some are very shy and will eat if it's quite and dark, maybe yours will start to eat this way even if it didn't take the one mouse the single time you tried.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

Tim Mead (05-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Maybe turn down the temp slightly? What is his behavior like. does he seem interested?

I find it hard to believe you tried everything in a 2 week period. If you are offering more than once every 7 days, stop. You are just making the problem worse.

Have you tried talking to the breeder (or person who sold it to you)?
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    It sounds like you are keeping him correctly from the description. It could just be a matter of settling in, and stress from the last assist feeding. I had a snake that took 3 weeks before it would accept food when it got to me. What substrate do you have?

Thanks
    It's hard but sometimes you do have to let them settle and leave them be for a little while. Like others mentioned, fooling with him too much can stress him more. Does he use his hide? What substrate is he on? Maybe you can add some crumpled up newspaper in his enclosure so he can feel more secure. I know that if they feel insecure, they may not eat. Also, after you give him some time to be left alone, when you first try to offer again, I'd keep him on mice until you get him eating regularly again, before trying the switch to rats, but that's just my opinion. Good luck with him.
    THE place for Blood/Short-Tail Enthusiasts

Thanks

Re: Doesnt want to eat ...need some advice.

hello,sorry i had some internet problems and i couldnt answer.
    I assist feed him becose he is 200 grams and 7-8 months old and he refused any food dead or live.
    this is the main reason i am so concerned.
    In 3 days it will pass 3 weeks since he didnt eat. i will try in 3 days to give him to eat .
    yesterday he pooped . poop was ok, urates perfectly white .
    now his skin is wriklend , and his colors are no so intense as usual and his skin feels funny . i guess he is going to shed soon but i dont see any change in his eyes - they are normal not blurry or white .
    i never let the live mouse with the snake - i was always there to be sure he wont be harmed . i only handle him when i clean his tube .
    all days long he stays in his hiding and in the night he crawls a lot and drinks water.
    his substrate is paper towels . he is very shy and he gets scared a lot but never tried to bite or hiss .
    I recently started to raise the humidity and i spray water on him . should i get him a bath with warm water too ?
    i am very concerned about his weight and age .
    if you have any other advice for me please tell me, i want all the best for the little guy
    thanks

Thanks

If he has a wrinkled look to him, I would soak him in very shallow water for about 24hrs at least. He could very well be dehydrated. If you do so, be sure to make it shallow enought to where he can rest his head without drowning himself.

Thanks

0k, i will soak him in water today . but do you have any advice about what i should do to make him eat? i mean 200 grams at 8 months is very low right ?

Thanks
    I had a blood python that would only eat if I left a dead rat in her bin and left her alone for a while. I'd usually check 1hour latter and the rat would be gone.

Thanks
    Can you post a photo of him possibly?

It's hard to say with the weight to age comparison because that can depend on how frequent the person that had the snake prior to you was feeding him.

We have a pretty extensive collection of these guys, and we've had some go for a month before eating when they first arrive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast