Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

4 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Traveling with a BP?

Upcoming, for my job, I am going to be traveling out of town every 3rd week for 6-9 days at a time. This arrangement will be ongoing for an undetermined duration. I am evaluating different scenarios for my 6 yr old BP. As I see it, I have 3 options (other options welcomed!)

1. HE TRAVELS WITH ME
    This is my preferred option. I will be traveling about 4.5 hours each way by car, 2-3 times a month. This seems like a lot of car time for him. When I've travelled with him in the past, I've just set him up with my cars heated seats with his temp probe underneath and provided supplemental heat as necessary with a heat bulb plugged into a power inverter. The heated seats don't provide a means to regulate temp much but I've managed to keep them at a tolerable level in the past. I have a full enclosure set up at the destination that I can have turned on prior to my arrival so that part is not an issue. I am mainly concerned about the amount of car time as a stress factor and the feeding schedule adjustments that would need to be made.

2. HE STAYS HOME
    This is probably my least preferred option. I could have someone come in to provide fresh water and check basic temps every few days (likely only twice while I'm gone.) This wouldn't be someone with reptile experience and would just be "following rules" I would have to provide them with. Also, they would not feed. I know they would check the enclosure to the best of their knowledge but I'm not really comfortable with that on an ongoing basis. His temps are controlled via thermostat but I still feel it's a risky game to play.

3. HE STAYS AT THE DESTINATION
    This is not ideal in my opinion, as it would mean he would be out of my care the majority of the time. At the destination, he would be monitored daily (also by a non-owner) but I would be able to provide more guidance to the person. Aside for the obvious reasons of not wanting to do this, it would also mean I would have to make an extra trip myself for feedings, as this person would also not feed.

In a perfect world, I would just travel him with me and he would stay happy and healthy. But, in reality, is it that simple? How much stress do you think this amount of car time would cause? Is there any steps I could take to have him travel with me successfully?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Traveling with a BP?

I am sure you can spend some time and effort to build a travel habitat that will heat or cool as needed so ill forgo the argument of correct temps while traveling.

How your snake will fare traveling is hard to say. Yes stress is a huge issue! I personally have animals whom will not feed and show high stress levels after a vet trip ( basic check up) and others whom show no stress at all and will feed hours after returning. It is hard to guess what the effect will be.

The best advise I can give is try it and see. Take you snake with you and see if it is a huge interruption or not. I would say if feeding becomes an issue it is not likely a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Consider making his cage portable. Then you avoid the stress of him being in a new cage all the time. Just plug cage into aforementioned inverter for the trip and emty/fill water dish at each end to avoid a mess. Not sure if this is feasible but it would save the trouble of providing 2 complete setups as well.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    Yeah, I wouldn't travel with him for a while yet until I get him back on a routine feeding schedule (he's been in a terrible eating situation recently but I've already discussed that on another forum.) I've travelled with him in the past and it didn't seem to phase him much at the time but he was younger and used to have unstoppable eating habits back then too. Now I'm always hesitant to put him into what might be a stressful situation, in fear he'll go off feed.

Im going to wait it out a bit, no travelling for him just yet. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    That's a good idea! I'm still going to keep him put for now but I'll definately keep that in mind when/if the time comes. I'm not a tub person (I know, you could likely list a hundread pros of a tub style enclosure) but it's just generally not my thing. If I plan on keeping this work arrangement for any duration, he will inevitably have to end up traveling so it would be a good call to switch him over during that time. Now why didn't I think of that!? LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Just remember most (all?) proportional thermostats are not compatible with inverters. Most triac (proportional T-stat controllers) do not do well with 'dirty' power they need pure seine wave energy. Not modified or square. A cheap on off would do better.

From Spider Robotics FAQ
    Most computer UPS backup systems and 12vdc to 120vac inverters output a modified sine wave. This will not work with any proportional thermostat. They will work with relay based non-proportional thermostats. In order to work with a proportional thermostat the backup system must produce a "True" or "Pure" sine wave. These systems are usually double the price of a standard UPS or power inverter.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Darwin (05-24-2013),Marrissa (05-24-2013)

Thanks
    Learning lots of new stuff from you today kitedemon.
    Alluring Constrictors

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (05-24-2013)