Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

2 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Zoo Med HygroTherm

I ask this Question before about the Zoo Med Hygro Therm. I was told it junk but I want to hear from the people who use them. I can get 1 from Amazon for about $40-$60. Herpstat is out of my budget.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I have one I used with a mister. It actually worked well for that.

It will not work with a uth. The probe is a large plastic box that reads both temp and humidity. If you are using lamps for heat it will work. Trying to use it with a belly heat source would make you bury the sensor box making the humidity sensor useless and judging from mine it would not register the temp correctly because of the way it is designed.

The sensor is surrounded by a cage looking box with the sensor suspended in the middle. That makes it great at registering ambient temps but trying to read a surface temp with it is not going to work correctly since the sensor is not going to make contract.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: Zoo Med HygroTherm

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    x2. It's cheap and gets the job done.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python - Athena
    1.0 American Leatherback Bearded Dragon - Ares

Thanks
    I think people that look into this product are more looking for a way to control their foggers automatically.

Too bad the temperature function doesn't work well for UTH's. They should've had 2 sensors.
    The light sensing feature is also wasted on bp's as they don't need a nighttime temp drop.
    1.0 Pastel Butter (pics)

Thanks
    I bought a Zoomed Hygrotherm a couple of months ago (January, I believe) and have been disappointed with it. Besides not being able to bury the probe in the substrate, I also find the display very difficult to read unless it is at precisely the correct angle. Speaking of the display, it is a separate from the unit that the heater/fogger plug into; this seems to translate to more cords (or, at least it seems that way--just makes the whole device a bit more unmanageable). In addition, the display can only display either temperature or humidity at one time, not both. It also does not have up or down arrows to set the temperature or humidity; instead, you must cycle through all the degree/% settings (it counts upwards). Consequently, setting it can be a bit time consuming and somewhat of a pain.

Last week, I ordered a Herpstat 2. I actually bought the Herpstat because I am switching from two 40 gallon tanks to a single Animal Plastics T8 with a divideer and, thus, needed two thermostats. However, even if I had not gone the way of the T8 and was keeping the T8, I still probably would have switched from the Hygrotherm to a Herpstat. I might use the Hygrotherm to measure and regulate humidity in the T8 (I have a Reptifogger that I bought when I purchased the Hygrotherm, but I am not using the Reptifogger now because it required too much distilled water.). We'll see, though.