Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,066

1 members and 2,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

A few ASF breeding ???'s

So, I have been breeding ASF's for about 3 years in 10 gal and 20 long tanks with fairly good success but I do have a few issues that hopefully someone can help with. 1) The little bastards keep eating my water bottles 2) Why do I continue to experience such extremes in breeding periods? Basically they ALL breed like rabbits for a month or so then STOP entirely for a few months and then they ALL start again. It appears that they are all on the same cycle but I can't really figure out their timing. It does not appear to be seasonal or temp related. Is this normal ? 3) Can they be safely breed breed in a rack system using litter pans? This would eliminate my issue with them eating all of my bottles but I am afraid that they will simply chew through the litter pans. My hope is that they currently focus on the bottles since there is a edge to chew on and that they may not destroy the bins as there is no edge protruding to chew on. So...any thoughts?

Thanks
    I can't help with the breeding cycles, but what kind of water bottles are you using? I'm assuming plastic since they're eating them. Have you considered just using glass ones?
    1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus
    1.1 Cats-Kit and Mia 0.1 Dog-Jersey

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Well. ASFs grow very very slowly. It's possible that the babies are still nursing for awhile, which is prolonging breeding.

But keep plastic bottles on the outside of the enclosure. If you need to have bottles in the closure, use glass.
    Put in wood chews or running wheels to keep them busy from chewing unwanted items.

Thanks
    I don't breed them but I do feed them. Picked up 4 from kaorte on the 7th the heaviest one was 23g I have one left and he was like 20g it's now the 24th an just weighed him while cleaning the tank and he was 55g

Seems to me like he ballooned up pretty quick so to say they grow slow I can't really agree.. Unless I just have a super rat..

Thanks
    I have breed them in a regular rat rack for years. I had one little colony chew out of the black cement tub and when they started on a second one I fed off the colony. I typically keep 1.3 or 1.4 in a tub and they breed constantly!! Where are your tanks located? My rack is in the house so temps are really stable. I also found that you need to wean these guys or the moms wont exactly have more babies for a while. So as soon as I see them eating on the bird seed or fruit/ veggies I pull them and almost always have new babies in a day or two.
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

Thanks
    Forgot....I put wood on top of the rack with the food and they chew pretty heavily on them. And sometimes I throw papertowel tubes in or wadded up paper.
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

Thanks

Re: A few ASF breeding ???'s

Quote Originally Posted by Wapadi View Post
    I have breed them in a regular rat rack for years. I had one little colony chew out of the black cement tub and when they started on a second one I fed off the colony. I typically keep 1.3 or 1.4 in a tub and they breed constantly!! Where are your tanks located? My rack is in the house so temps are really stable. I also found that you need to wean these guys or the moms wont exactly have more babies for a while. So as soon as I see them eating on the bird seed or fruit/ veggies I pull them and almost always have new babies in a day or two.
    Ditto. I had the same problem as the OP untill i started pulling the babies away quicker and putting them in a grow tub. I get many more litters now by a wide margin. Wapadi hit the nail on the head.

Thanks

A few ASF breeding ???'s

If the enclosure gets over populated, they will stop breeding

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

A few ASF breeding ???'s

Haha this thread is 3 months old.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs