Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

1 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Off feed at 371 grams?

This has been going on for about a month now. I have a male pied who was a very aggressive eater.
    For the last month it's hit and mostly miss on feeding day. He has been on a 5-6 day feeding schedule. When I first got him back in Oct he was 129 grams and he is up to 374 and between jan & now he gained 50. So I'm not worried about weight.....I feed f/t so I'm ending up tossing his feeders in the trash. I feel bad about that because well feeding them to the snakes is one thing throwing them out is another. I don't feel comfortable with refreezing.
    They are sized by body weight and his temps are 90 and 79-80 he is in a rack system with hides and humidity by misting is kept in the high 50's low 60's. He acts hungry... He strikes right away and then just leaves it. Some times I have luck with running the rat's head under hot water but last night was a no go.

So typical frustrating ball python feeding behavior?
    1.0 Bee-Baby Bee
    1.0 Pied-White Night
    0.1 White Diamond/BEL-Luci
    1.0 Het Russo-Linus
    0.1 Gargoyle-Sienna
    0.1 Pewter het pied-Valentina
    0.1 Champagne Cinnamon Het Albino-unnamed still
    0.1 Pastel Calico-Calli

2.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Off feed at 371 grams?

Hi,

How do you defrost the rat?

I have found pre-scenting makes a huge difference to the snakes behaviour so I defrost slowly in the same room and then use a hair drier to heat the head. Not only does it heat it up it wafts the smell all around the room.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Off feed at 371 grams?

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

How do you defrost the rat?

I have found pre-scenting makes a huge difference to the snakes behaviour so I defrost slowly in the same room and then use a hair drier to heat the head. Not only does it heat it up it wafts the smell all around the room.

dr del
    I defrost in a plastic bag floating in hot tap water that I changed out 10-15 minutes. I can try defrosting them in the same room and the hair dryer. Maybe that will work for the albino. I need to put the mice's head under hot running water for 30-45 seconds in order of him to take it.
    1.0 Bee-Baby Bee
    1.0 Pied-White Night
    0.1 White Diamond/BEL-Luci
    1.0 Het Russo-Linus
    0.1 Gargoyle-Sienna
    0.1 Pewter het pied-Valentina
    0.1 Champagne Cinnamon Het Albino-unnamed still
    0.1 Pastel Calico-Calli

2.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    I thaw/heat mine in HOT water. just drop them in & let them soak. I prefer it & i think it hydrates the snakes some also.

I think if he is grabbing it & coiling i would maybe just shake the tail for a couple seconds to really get the feeding response going then leave him alone so hes not distracted