Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,821

0 members and 2,821 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Red or Ball

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Columbian Red Tailed Boa

11 50.00%
  • Ball Python

7 31.82%
  • Other (Please post in comments)

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Red tail Boa or Ball python?

I was wondering if I should get a Red tail Boa, or a ball python. I know Red tail boas can grow up to 10ft, and even over.

I recently lost my first ever ball python, I got her when she was really skinny, and had coccidia, she died a few days after the vet visit... and I am really hurt by it, even though I only had for two weeks.

The only problem I have with ball pythons are that they are picky eaters...and I don't think I can go through that again... and it's hard to find a place that sells live feeders where I live.

I love Ball Pythons, and I love there personality. I have owned Wild California Kings, Garters, and Grass snakes in the past and they all were great eaters, and actually they weren't to snappy. (Besides the Grass snake, mean little bugger, let him go after his wounds heal'd, he was caught by my cat(Twice! but lived through both times)) The California Kings never bit or struck at me, and were over 4ft when I caught them, I let them go though, I never intended on keeping a wild caught snake. (I had caught these guys)

Anyways, I had been looking up about Columbian Red Tailed boas, and they seemed great. I mean ya they are a little nippy at first, but they easily tame down. Size isn't a problem, but my mother rather I get a ball, because these guys grow huge, and she doesn't want me handling them on my own.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I would love to have some more opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I have and love both. The boas are great eaters, and tons of fun to handle. Neither of my boas are full grown yet, so I can't give you size on mine. If you get a male BCI it "should" stay on the smaller side.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

BallPythonChick (01-11-2013)

Thanks

Hmm, what a tricky choice..

I am a big boa person, love their awesome personalities and how they are not picky feeders. I would recommend boas and males actually usually stay at around 6 feet, but they are heavy bodied. They are beautiful and I love watching them climb. But ball pythons are sweet, endearing, and quite tame. I have had a lot of freedom frustrations with them, but lots aren't like that. Depends on the individual snake. I would go with what your heart wants and do plenty of research
    “You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SylverTears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    As much as I love my ball pythons, I would have to cast my vote for the boas. If you get a male BCI and grow him slow you should have no problems handling him on your own. Boas just have amazing personalities and are more active than BPs (at least mine are).
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinra For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Red tail Boa or Ball python?

I vote Boa also, I just got my girl and love her! So curious and nice and fun to handle! Both make great pets for sure!
    TANNER

1.1 Russian Tortoises "Boris, Shelly"
    1.2 Leopard Geckos "Luna, Toothless, Skittles"
    1.1 Crested Gecko "Stickers"
    1.0 Yellow lab "Cooper"
    0.1 Pastel BP "Khaleesi"
    0.1 Pinstripe BP "Daenery's"
    0.1 Hypo BP " Sansa"
    0.1 Black Pastel "Shae"
    0.1 Bumble Bee
    0.1 Red Tail Boa "Melisandra"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gopherhockey03 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I will be the lone wolf and vote Ball python.

An RTB is a lot of snake. Yeah they eat better than ball pythons for the most part, but they aren't particularly calm. Obviously this is not true for all boas, but they are much different than a ball python.

I love my RTB though I don't handle him much. I let him do his own thing and just watch him cruise around.

Don't let feeding problems with one snake turn you off ball pythons. I rarely have feeding issues, only from breeder sized animals.
    ~Steffe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

I like my ball pythons, I like my corns, I like my rtbs, however I have grown to LOVE my dumerils boas! They are heftier than the average rtb while not getting really long. I would recommend getting a male dum. They tend to run a little smaller than the females. The can get 9 feet but that is a rare occasion. They seem to average 5-7 feet for both males and females. The have very mellow attitudes and do great taking f/t . They also grow at a painstakingly slow rate so depending on your age you maybe out on your own before it ever gets to full size if you purchase a baby. Good luck on what ever you decide on.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H.o.F.R View Post
    I like my ball pythons, I like my corns, I like my rtbs, however I have grown to LOVE my dumerils boas! They are heftier than the average rtb while not getting really long. I would recommend getting a male dum. They tend to run a little smaller than the females. The can get 9 feet but that is a rare occasion. They seem to average 5-7 feet for both males and females. The have very mellow attitudes and do great taking f/t . They also grow at a painstakingly slow rate so depending on your age you maybe out on your own before it ever gets to full size if you purchase a baby. Good luck on what ever you decide on.
    ARG dang you!

I have been wanting a boa for some time now. ESPECIALLY a dum dum. Yer making me want one even more! SHHHHh
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Boa all the way baby!!!!

Couple of misconceptions you have there about boas so here is some information that might help you out...

1) They very rarely get upwards of 10 ft in length. Most male BCIs (common Colombian boa) stay around 5-6 ft. Females do get a bit larger, but still don't get much more than 7-8 ft. They can be maintained on rats their whole lives and will generally only need 1-2 jumbo rats every 2 weeks to stay healthy and happy. There are exceptions to size of course, and BCCs (the true Red Tailed Boas) do get larger with some big females obtaining lengths up to 10-12 ft. If you're concerned about size, get a male BCI or one of the "dwarf" localities such as a Hog Island or Sonoran Desert. Or, as H.0.F.R suggested, a Dumerils is a great choice too.

2) You should be able to easily handle a male BCI or one of the others on your own. I am pretty small and can handle all of my boas confidently. They are pretty active and curious so having a second pair of hands at times does help, but they are never aggressive.

3) Not a single baby I've ever had has ever been snappy. My Argentines will bluff a lot, hiss and huff and puff, but they've never struck (and Argies are known for being bluffers anyhow). All my BCIs have been absolute sweethearts from day one. Again, there are certainly exceptions, but sweetness is the general rule with BCIs - not snappiness.

I voted "other" in the poll because, considering your mom's concerns, I would strongly recommend a male Hog Island. These guys stay around 5 ft and have strong feed responses. Shouldn't be too intimidating for your mom, but enough to give you a real boa experience. Hogs are BCIs - they are just a slightly smaller locality than the Colombians.

Boas are wonderful snakes! I am so happy with all of mine! They are smart and curious and eat like there's no tomorrow. I have 2 ball pythons too and while they are great snakes, I'd take a boa any day.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 01-11-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    Both are great, but I'd have to go with RTB. I had a big 10ft female as a kid, and old loves die hard. She's the one that got me started on snakes, so she'll always have a place in my heart. I'll also tell you that as a scrawny 8yr old girl, I handled that big girl with no problem. tame as a puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast