Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,170

0 members and 1,170 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Thermostat Not Working...

So I bought a new ZooMed UTH and Zilla thermostat for the new enclosure. Placed the probe on the bottom underneath the tub and duct-taped the UTH over it like the tutorial instructed. I plugged the UTH into the thermostat outlet and the thermostat into the wall outlet. I turned on the thermostat and set it to 95 F. Checked a few hours later and the UTH wasn't even warm.
    Did I skip something?

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Keep in mind that 95 degrees is lower than your body temperature so it won't feel more than warm.

That said the zilla thermostats are known to be low quality and it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't working properly.

Are both of the lights on?
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    To be honest, I would ditch the cheap quality thermostat and get yourself a nice thermostat. You know, one that will actually work! As soon as I got my herpstat, I have no had one single worry about the temperatures in my enclosure.

It'll save you the time of fiddling around with crappy ones, and it'll give you peace of mind!

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Zilla TStats are very poor quality. That said you shoul be checking the function with an ACCURATE thermometer! The markings on the Zilla units are very loose and the accuracy of the probe very poor. Basically what you set is unlikely to relate to actual temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: New Thermostat Not Working...

Both lights are on, and I'd be pretty pissed off if it doesn't work. The thing cost 50 bucks...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CatandDiallo View Post
    To be honest, I would ditch the cheap quality thermostat and get yourself a nice thermostat. You know, one that will actually work! As soon as I got my herpstat, I have no had one single worry about the temperatures in my enclosure.

It'll save you the time of fiddling around with crappy ones, and it'll give you peace of mind!

Cheap? It was $50! :C

The receipt was gone by the time I got home, and I can't but a new one until next month anyway or I won't be able to eat.
    But I'll consider it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    You should return it. It isn't even worth a penny in my opinion. You are much better off with the thermostats listed above. Just try and return it and say it is faulty and you lost the receipt. Worth a try!

And just a little pet peeve of mine: You can absolutely feel the UTH get warm with your hands because our extremities are much cooler than our core temp of 98.6. The only time my hands are 98.6 is when its that hot outside.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Poseidon (11-07-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Keep in mind that 95 degrees is lower than your body temperature so it won't feel more than warm.

That said the zilla thermostats are known to be low quality and it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't working properly.

Are both of the lights on?
    So basically it's typical for the Zilla ones to make the UTH not work at all?
    I also have a thermometer that -should- be accurate, placed on top of the UTH but inside the tub. It still reads room temp.

Thanks

Time to trouble shoot- plug the uth into the wall and plug a lamp into the t-stat...you could have a bad uth.
    1.0 yellowbelly '11 "Rocco"
    1.0 spider het ghost '12 "Cliff"
    0.1 superpastel '12 "Adelle"
    0.0.1 blue tongued skink "Reggie"
    15 African cichlids
    0.1 french bulldog "Stella"
    1.0 pug "Norman"
    0.2 domestic shorthair cats "cookie dough" and "Shadow"
    60 + bonsai

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyrascal View Post
    Both lights are on, and I'd be pretty pissed off if it doesn't work. The thing cost 50 bucks...

- - - Updated - - -

Cheap? It was $50! :C

The receipt was gone by the time I got home, and I can't but a new one until next month anyway or I won't be able to eat.
    But I'll consider it.
    I meant moreso cheap in quality, but $50 is cheap in comparison to the reputable thermostats.

Also, sometimes stores can pull up your receipts in their system and re-print them, if you lost yours. One of the stores that I used to work at did that.
    Call them and let them know you lost it, and ask them if they could do that or if there are any other options available for you.

Reach for the stars, and if you don't grab them at least you'll fall on top of the world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CatandDiallo View Post
    I meant moreso cheap in quality, but $50 is cheap in comparison to the reputable thermostats.

Also, sometimes stores can pull up your receipts in their system and re-print them, if you lost yours. One of the stores that I used to work at did that.
    Call them and let them know you lost it, and ask them if they could do that or if there are any other options available for you.
    Luckily it turns out I did keep the receipt! It was right by the tank she's currently in. I will take the UTH to PetCo tomorrow as I'm sure that's what was faulty. As for the thermostat, maybe it still works but if it's unreliable it may be better to get a good one. I can't afford anything much more expensive but I'll see what I can do...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your answers! I think the UTH is what really didn't work so I'll be returning it. I found the receipt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast