Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,102

0 members and 3,102 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Baytril Injection Lumps?

So unfortunately my little guy Ihysius (he's almost two and just over 3 feet in length) developed the beginning of scale rot while I left him with a friend of my partners (who turned out to be not nearly as responsible as she claimed ) for a little bit while getting some personal things sorted out.

I brought him to my local exotics vet ASAP this past Friday and little guy is home in his tub, doing well enough.
    The vet prescribed 0.2 cc injection of baytril intramuscular 1x a day. Also to wipe his belly down with chlorhexidine gluconate 2x daily.

The vet instructed me on how to inject him, parallel but away from the spine at a 45 degree angle between the scales, pulling back on the syringe to make sure there was no blood in it (so as to not inject into a vein) before injecting him and to only inject in the first 1/3 of his body right where there's enough 'meat' to get the syringe in the muscle.

Today he got his fourth injection and so far, so good in terms of no blood and he *seems* be doing ok.
    Worrying thing is he's developed a swelling where I inject him, not huge, but I can tell.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain and the area certainly isn't swelling or red or leaking.
    I thought I was varying the injection site enough but will make sure to rotate it as far as possible.

Does anyone have any ideas? Tips?

Sorry guys, I've never had to inject any of my pets before, parrot or reptile.

Thanks
    I had to do the same for one of my snakes and they did sometimes develop that lump. It took 3 days for the lump to eventually go down. Call your vet though he/she is going to give you the best answer.
    Lizards
    1.0 Ornate Uromastyx "Reptar"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    The lump just means you injected subcutaneous (subq or under the skin) and not intramuscular(in the muscle).
    It doesn't hurt the snake. It's just a little slower at being absorbed than intramuscular. For intramuscular, inject a little deeper next time. But either IM or SQ works.

But beware of Baytril 'burns'. Baytrill will cause tissue necrosis at the injection site. It is permanent scarring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 10-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Nuzum1978 (08-01-2019)

Thanks
    Inject the baytril a bit deeper and a little slower. If its injected to fast it will also cause a small lump, and as previously stated you may be under the skin and not fully in the muscle

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EAC Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Nuzum1978 (08-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Baytril Injection Lumps?

Quote Originally Posted by EAC Reptiles View Post
    Inject the baytril a bit deeper and a little slower. If its injected to fast it will also cause a small lump, and as previously stated you may be under the skin and not fully in the muscle
    Agreed

Thanks
    Thanks guys,

I'm trying my best to inject IM and not SQ---I get hissed at once in a while but he's being a good sport and the lumps never stay more than a day.