Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 644

0 members and 644 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm curious how often people take their snakes to the vet.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

I only take mine when it is necessary or when I suspect something may be wrong. I definitely don't have a problem with people taking their snakes for checkups....I just don't have the time or money to do so unless it is necessary.

Thanks
    i took mine about 3 weeks after i got hom and ill go back next year if i dont think he is ill before then. Always need to check for worms and internal paracites that harm your snake from the inside!!! Plus it only costs $27.50 for a complete checkup here in B.G. That is not too much to pay to make sure your snake is healthy for a year.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't yet...but I plan to take both the snake and the beardie for a check-up with Dr. Stahl before I leave this area. For me, it's not so much a matter of money, as a matter of finding the available time to do so.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    When I get a new snake it goes in quarantine (ofcourse!!!) for a couple of months. In that period I take a stool-sample to the vet and if it's necesarry (after the stool-sample check) I take the snake to the vet for a check-up and treatment.
    Every 6 months I bring stool-samples of my snakes to the vet just to be sure nothing is wrong.
    I take Monty to the vet more often because he has a problem with his lungs. So every few months (depending on how he's doing) we check his lungs.
    1.1 Python regius (Monty Python & Cheetah)
    1.1 Gerrhosaurus major (Falkor & Gizmo)
    0.0.2 Cordylus tropidosternum (Rocco & Senna)
    expected September 3rd, 2004

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Now I'm curious how much vets in other areas charge for a checkup, fecal, etc. I have to pull my receipt, but I'm sure I paid more than $27.50 - good deal bigslimrich.
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    I pay around 15 Euro (around $18 ) for a fecal. But sometimes my vet gives it for free. My check-ups for Monty are almost every time free except when he has to get medication, but then I pay only a few euro. I have a very nice vet who is crazy about Monty (Cheetah as well). She saved his live when he got a bad poisoning and now Monty is the love of her life. That's the reason I don't have to pay so much every time I come by.
    1.1 Python regius (Monty Python & Cheetah)
    1.1 Gerrhosaurus major (Falkor & Gizmo)
    0.0.2 Cordylus tropidosternum (Rocco & Senna)
    expected September 3rd, 2004

Thanks
    Here in the Washington DC area check-ups at the vet run around 60-75.00 with the vet I use Dr Stahl being 75.00
    He said he only recommends yearlys unless something wrong
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how much Dr. Stahl would charge if I brought in two critters at the same time?
    -- Judy

Thanks
    The vet we went to in Morgantown, WV charged $52 for the initial visit. I think he charged a little less for the second snake, since we brought them both in at the same time, and I think fecals were around $13. He recommended bringing them back in a year for a fecal exam. He said he wouldn't need to examine them again unless we thought they were having problems. He said we should bring them in for their fecal tests so that in case any parasites were found, they could get their weights to calculate the proper medication dosage.

To be honest though, the only snakes we've taken to the vet are the ones we got from the pet store. We haven't taken the ones we purchased directly from breeders who only feed their snakes f/t food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast