Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

1 members and 3,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What incubator to get?

Hey guys, I'm going to be breeding ball pythons for the first time this season, and was wondering what incubator is a good one to get? I'm not really interested in making one, just would like to buy a cheap well working one. I was thinking the Exo terra ones, but read they aren't very good. What ones would you guys recommend? Would a chicken incubator work? Thanks

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quality doesn't come cheap. I know people have had success with Hova-bators and the Exo Terra ones, but I wouldn't risk it. Which is why I built my own and made sure it was good to go before I got eggs. Other than that the only incubators I would look at are Hot Box Incubators or Nature's Spirit. Idk how expensive NS is but Hot Box is a pretty penny, and they don't have any single or double clutch incubators. I think their smallest one is for like 9.
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks
    I know you dont wanna hear it, but the best incubator you can buy is the one you buy parts for and build yourself. No incubator manufacturer is going to have the attention to detail and meet your exact specific needs from an incubator that you have.

Thanks

incubator

i have built my own incubators in the past that worked very well and sure you can customize it to your needs but your needs may change like mind did. i went to natures spirit and purchased thier large incubator and have hatched colubrid, leopard gecko, bearded dragon and ball python eggs in it. its a well built quality incubator, alot better than anything i ever made myself and if your not handy its the way togo. Kirk

http://www.nsreptiles.com/
    Welcome to New Jersey Home of Taxes, Tolls, and Traffic

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want "cheap" then you should build your own, but definitely don't by cheap supplies to make it. You can get a broken fridge for free, then you just have to buy the stuff to go inside. Most breeders make their own because you can make really large, reliable ones for a lot less than a 2 clutch premade incubator. You are going to spend a fortune on a premade incubator and it won't be very large. Even if you buy a cheap Styrofoam incubator you are going to have to buy a nice thermostat, so it's pointless to spend money on a cheap one.

Trust us, we aren't telling you that you need to spend tons of money to be a breeder, but we are telling you that you need to spend enough money to keep the eggs alive. Of course it all depends on what route you want to take, go cheap and learn the hard way like a lot of us, or take our advice and have a smoother first year of breeding.

Thanks
    I'm going against the grain here as compared to everyone else, but I found a ZooMed reptibator online for 40 bux and it worked awesome for me. I put together a standard egg box, and a separate thermometer. I adjusted the temp on the reptibator till the thermometer read 89 and got 100% hatch. I would recommend one if you can find it cheap.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: What incubator to get?

Quote Originally Posted by interloc View Post
    I'm going against the grain here as compared to everyone else, but I found a ZooMed reptibator online for 40 bux and it worked awesome for me. I put together a standard egg box, and a separate thermometer. I adjusted the temp on the reptibator till the thermometer read 89 and got 100% hatch. I would recommend one if you can find it cheap.
    You get what you pay for, plenty of those have ruined plenty of clutches...
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    You get what you pay for, plenty of those have ruined plenty of clutches...
    I agree with that, and I already have a mini fridge ready to be turned into an incubator for next season. All I'm saying is that it worked for me. And it was cheap. So IMO, I answered the OPs question.

But yes, building your own with a high quality thermostat is the best way to go.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    I plan to build my own. My first season im only gunna have a maximum of 3 clutches. The cooler that was going to be thrown out at work bc of a broken handle will fit my needs perfectly!

I still have to get a tstat and all the other stuff for it but i got the cooler lol!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran King's Royal Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    I found a Forma Scientific laboratory water jacketed incubator on ebay for $200 and drove 2 hours to pick it up. The digital readout was a little off, but I used a certified thermometer to calibrate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast