Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,983

1 members and 1,982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Monster cages vs. Vision cages

For those who have seen/heard about both, which are better for large snakes? (Retics, burms, anacondas, etc.)
    What are the pros and cons for them with larger snakes? I know Monster cages have hinged doors while Vision have sliding, which are better for housing large snakes?

Also, which comes with accessories? Heating pads/tape (Not sure how cages are heated, from lights or something else), locks,etc. Thanks!

Thanks
    I have several vision cages, one of which houses my burmese. It is the 42"x60"x18" one. The positive side is the sliding doors. I have heard of problems with smarter snakes taking advantage of the time it takes to swing a hinged door. The down side is the amount that the roof and floor will sag and warp. It seems to be a big problem in the larger visions. It really isn't an issue for the animal, but it isn't pretty if you want it as a show piece. I have seen people make metal frames for them to help prevent it, but at the price you pay for it you shouldn't have to! I got mine on craigslist for a great price, but I certainly wouldn't buy a new one! But just so you know, I'm not bashing the entire vision line. I absolutely love and swear by the smaller vision cages!

As for the other brand, I have no idea!
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Monster cages vs. Vision cages

How long would it take for the cage to sag? And what do they mean metal frames, do they put them in the cage or do they mean metal frames where they basically make a shelf of some sort? Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

Thanks
    They start sagging pretty quickly, I've even seen brand new ones with the roof already dropping! I have seen frames built on the outside like a perimeter shell, that makes it easier to stack them without making the problem worse. I have seen a build online somewhere that had an inner frame built in it. I think they used 1/2x1/2 square tubing and they did a really good job. The only problem was the welded joints had sharp spots that were a pain to grind down and the welding actually melted the tank in a couple spots. Again, I ask, for price of the tank, why should I have to! I tried a 2x4 in the middle of mine at one time. It helped, sort of. It made a peak in the middle of the tank! If it's not going to be a visual problem for you, it's not a problem, but like I said, if you want it pretty its not good!
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ohh okay. Do you think the framing built outside around the cage similar to this you would still be able to notice sagging?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvGINcYEFY&feature=plcp

Thanks again!

Thanks
    I think it would be difficult to notice like that. That's a good idea. Looks like a set of shelves. If you were creative, you could skin the outside of the shelves and make it look even better.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

Anybody else? :0
    Last edited by Pampho85; 08-19-2012 at 11:12 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Bump

Anyone know anything about Monster cages or more about visions?