Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

0 members and 2,870 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Can I house two ball pythons together?

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    I'm curious to know, what part about WingedWolfPsion's post isn't true?

There are photos to prove that ball pythons have eaten each other. Also, I have seen 2 males together, and slam-match is really a good way to put it. From what I experienced, anyways.

I have no doubt that people successfully cohab their snakes. Perhaps in my original post I should have had a disclaimer stating that it was JUST MY OPINION, but since it's on my website, I figured people would be able to figure that out for themselves.

PERSONALLY I choose not to cohabitate my snakes, and PERSONALLY I do not recommend other people cohab. Just my own preference, based on the teeny, tiny RISK associated with cohabbing.
    There are species that are prone to ophiophagy - so common sense should be applied there.

As Wes pointed out, most other cases are due to operator errors - feeding them together, reintroducing them after a meal too quickly - things that the owner causes by lack of knowledge or experience. In some non-ophiophagus colubrids, it's due to the owner not knowing the correct feeding frequency for the species.

Again, I've got more years than I care to count in the snake "hobby", have bred and raised many species and have never had one single incidence of cannibalism.

Should every one do it? No. Many people can barely nail down what it takes to keep a snake healthy for the long haul, let alone deal with the requirements of co-habbing.

Can it be done? Yes. Some very knowledgeable people who many in this hobby hold in an inexplicable and misguided reverence do it, and have done it for years.

There is a whole subculture of snake keepers who have been at this game a long time. They don't post videos, don't post pics, don't really advertise, but have outlasted all of the fad breeders that pop up, burn out and fade. They do a lot of things that the internet mafia has somehow deemed unacceptable, unsafe, unpalatable, unpopular and any other "un" you care to apply.

The scary fact is that these seasoned keepers who have done all the wrong things successfully for decades do all the wrong things better than most others do the right things. Get it?

Deal with it and move on.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 08-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

jnite (08-03-2012),KEG22 (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KEG22 View Post
    Wow! I'm sorry I didn't know I was asking a repeat question that pisses everybody off. I guess I should have Googled it & found contradicting answers without asking someone. Two people told me in person it would be ok & the guy that is selling me the kingsnake said it should be ok & I got some good advice on this forum about the provent a mite that worked like a charm & everybody that day was so nice & helpful to me that I figured I would ask you guys since its supposed to be a help forum on ball pythons. I know I do not have any experience whatsoever until June 22 at ever having a snake before in my life until my 11 year old son talked me into buying him 1 for his birthday & I am the one having to take care of it just like all the other animals we have. I wanted the milksnake for my room & the guy met me with that one & another ball python that looked skinny & was in a pillowcase & told me $20 & I went out the next day & got it a tank & have been feeding all of them & taking care of them the best I know how. I'm just trying to learn because they are my responsibility now so I'm very sorry for asking stupid questions on here.
    I think you are the only one cheeved off here. Yes this is a great forum, with lots of answers and helpful people. And we always will be here, quick to answer any questions. We see lots of snakes in substandard conditions because people don't want to have seperate tanks. So everyone always has the snakes best interest at heart. You are doing the right thing looking for answers here, just don't get ticked off because they aren't what you wanted to hear.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Cannabalism in most snakes, those who are not naturally snake eaters, is almost always because of feeding and returning the the common cage too soon or while one snake is still hungry. How many time have you seen males slamming and how long did it last? Are you SURE they were males?

I've kept boys together. I've kept, am now keeping a trio together that have been cohabbing for years, females together. I've kept mixed pairs and trios and large groups together and have never in over 25 years and hundreds and hundreds, thousands most likely, had an incident of one eating another. Same for corns. Same for milks. Same for FWCs. Same for Rosy Boas. Same for Sand Boas. Same for Pacific Gophers. I'm sure there are others, but I think that makes my point.

There are exceptions to every rule, but an exception is just that, an aberrancy in the norm, NOT the norm.

donna has had this explained to her multiple times.
    I'm not taking sides or saying anything other than I have had males get into wrestling matches during breeding time. It lasts until I seperate them. I had them together to get a reluctant male to wanna breed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks

Talking

This got to be very interesting and well down right entertainment to say the least! Thank all you guys! I really do appreciate your comments & all of this has made me realize a few things. One thing is that while I don't think the bigger one will eat the smaller one unless it had a mouse in its mouth & I COULD house them together, being a total beginner such as myself and I do feed my snakes in their tanks to avoid having to move them around after they eat, I have thought its a good idea to just get another 20 gallon & put my smaller ball python in. I don't really want to start using the tubs & all since all of my pets that i have to house in tanks I like them being on display & cutting their lights on in the morning & off in the evening & watching them get out moving around the tank is part of the enjoyment that i receive from having them. I honestly was planning on the 1 ball python but one led to 3 now when I get the king I hope to be done & if I decide to get more I may look into the rack idea. I've had my leopard gecko for 7 years & if i moved her to a little plastic tub she would hate it so bad! I think she likes her 20 long tank with reptile sand & live plants. What I am thinking would work best for me is something like a shelf that can hold multiple 20-30 gallon tanks so it would fit on 1 wall & hold maybe 3 or 4 tanks where you can put the light on it because the milk & king will need larger than a 10 eventually to move around more. I just want to look at them without having to open a drawer or a tub but if i had 20+ snakes like a lot of you guys do I can understand why it would be the best way to go. Again, sorry for the confusion. I honestly did not know & wasn't even thinking about how I would have to feed them & all but now i know & thank you guys...especially for the LOL's
    Last edited by KEG22; 08-04-2012 at 09:20 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KEG22 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (08-04-2012),PitOnTheProwl (08-04-2012),SquamishSerpents (08-04-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    You might look into building a small snake rack to save room, ball pythons don't make the best display snakes, and tanks just suck to properly heat and keep decent humidity in at the same time.

Good luck!

I agree with your comments by the way...

Sorry to get off subject, but since it was brought up and this problem seems to be solved...........................I saw your statement that Ball Pythons aren't really good "display snakes". I have just got back into owning snakes after some time off and just have the one juvenile ball. I used to have a retic, Emerald tree Boa, Red-tail Python, Burmese and a Green Anaconda. I think for the most part, there are people like most of us on this site that just love snakes, then there are people that hate them. Then there are people that don't have them as pets because they feel they are "boring" pets. In your opinion, or anyone elses that may want to comment, which snakes do you consider good "display snakes"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSSSSS View Post
    Sorry to get off subject, but since it was brought up and this problem seems to be solved...........................I saw your statement that Ball Pythons aren't really good "display snakes". I have just got back into owning snakes after some time off and just have the one juvenile ball. I used to have a retic, Emerald tree Boa, Red-tail Python, Burmese and a Green Anaconda. I think for the most part, there are people like most of us on this site that just love snakes, then there are people that hate them. Then there are people that don't have them as pets because they feel they are "boring" pets. In your opinion, or anyone elses that may want to comment, which snakes do you consider good "display snakes"?
    I think my absolute favorite "display" snakes are green tree pythons and emerald tree Boas. A good "display" snake is one that mostly stays visable. Balls tend to be in their hide most of the time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSSSS View Post
    My king, milk, and redtail

Thanks

A couple years ago I enjoyed having a pair of healthy normal ball pythons. One was about 30 inches and the other was about 35. I obtained them at different times from different people and after a quarantine period of 6 weeks I housed them together in a 55 gallon terrarium, which was perfect size for the two of them. I never did find out their sexes but they coexisted quite nicely. Including spending most of the days wrapped up in each other inside my upside down clay pot hide. I fed them separately in another container and they never skipped more than one meal once in a while. I never had any ill effects and my setup was all the more beautiful because there were 2 snakes. Someday I will like do this again. But for now I'm trying to simply find a single young python with 20 gallon terrarium to begin the journey again. thx
    Last edited by TheSnakeGuy; 09-17-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
    A couple years ago I enjoyed having a pair of healthy normal ball pythons. One was about 30 inches and the other was about 35. I obtained them at different times from different people and after a quarantine period of 6 weeks I housed them together in a 55 gallon terrarium, which was perfect size for the two of them. I never did find out their sexes but they coexisted quite nicely. Including spending most of the days wrapped up in each other inside my upside down clay pot hide. I fed them separately in another container and they never skipped more than one meal once in a while. I never had any ill effects and my setup was all the more beautiful because there were 2 snakes. Someday I will like do this again. But for now I'm trying to simply find a single young python with 20 gallon terrarium to begin the journey again. thx
    I'm just curious...what happened to the other two cohabitated snakes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Im jusst curious why are you bringing up all the dead threads that have been a controvercy and posting the same thing?
    I have seen the same post from you 3x now.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    My Collection
    Snakes
    1.0 Mojave (Twizzler)
    0.1 Dumerils (Cerin)
    1.0 Hypo BCI (Vero)

1.1 Dogs (Krackers & Ripley)

Tarantulas & Other Arachnids
    0.2 G. rosea, 0.0.1 P. murinus, 0.0.1 B. sabulosum, 0.0.1 L. difficilis, 0.0.1 A. geniculata
    0.0.1 A. versicolor, 0.0.1 L. parahybana, 0.0.1 Hapalopus sp columbia, 0.0.1 B. vagans
    0.0.1 Asian Forest Scorpion

Lizards
    1.0 Tokay Gecko

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast