Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,930

0 members and 1,930 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Can I house two ball pythons together?

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    I'm curious to know, what part about WingedWolfPsion's post isn't true?

There are photos to prove that ball pythons have eaten each other. Also, I have seen 2 males together, and slam-match is really a good way to put it. From what I experienced, anyways.

I have no doubt that people successfully cohab their snakes. Perhaps in my original post I should have had a disclaimer stating that it was JUST MY OPINION, but since it's on my website, I figured people would be able to figure that out for themselves.

PERSONALLY I choose not to cohabitate my snakes, and PERSONALLY I do not recommend other people cohab. Just my own preference, based on the teeny, tiny RISK associated with cohabbing.
    There are species that are prone to ophiophagy - so common sense should be applied there.

As Wes pointed out, most other cases are due to operator errors - feeding them together, reintroducing them after a meal too quickly - things that the owner causes by lack of knowledge or experience. In some non-ophiophagus colubrids, it's due to the owner not knowing the correct feeding frequency for the species.

Again, I've got more years than I care to count in the snake "hobby", have bred and raised many species and have never had one single incidence of cannibalism.

Should every one do it? No. Many people can barely nail down what it takes to keep a snake healthy for the long haul, let alone deal with the requirements of co-habbing.

Can it be done? Yes. Some very knowledgeable people who many in this hobby hold in an inexplicable and misguided reverence do it, and have done it for years.

There is a whole subculture of snake keepers who have been at this game a long time. They don't post videos, don't post pics, don't really advertise, but have outlasted all of the fad breeders that pop up, burn out and fade. They do a lot of things that the internet mafia has somehow deemed unacceptable, unsafe, unpalatable, unpopular and any other "un" you care to apply.

The scary fact is that these seasoned keepers who have done all the wrong things successfully for decades do all the wrong things better than most others do the right things. Get it?

Deal with it and move on.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 08-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

jnite (08-03-2012),KEG22 (08-04-2012)